Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi everyone,

I just want to give people notice about our intentions to move our forum (SSC) to another platform. Specifically, weare moving from vBulletin 4.2 over to Xenforo.

Most people reading this will probably not understand or care much about this forum move but for those who are interested this explanation is for you. Recently, I have been less than impressed (to put it mildly) with the direction of vBulletin forum software which is currently used on this site as at writing of this post (scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the software maker and copyright notice). The fact is, vBulletin version 4.2 isn't too bad but it's far from a polished forum platform in my opinion and this is evident by several bugs the software currently has, for instance, the post editor being incompatible (in areas) with Internet explorer 10. These types of bugs are unacceptable as it's writing that is the main function of any forum and it should work with all major browsers.

Also, I've had complaints about general site problems like logging in or even signing up and accessing the webpages. To make matters worse, the vBulletin company has released a whole new versioncalled vBulletin 5 Connect and instead of being an improvement on the last version it's a complete dogs breakfast and hasn't been very well received by the forum community at all! Add to this, poor customer service and a general low moral within the vBulletin community itself and it doesn't fill me with any confidence the new version will be fixed and of good quality any time soon.

On the other hand, over the past several months I have been learning about and practicing with Xenforo - the contrast between the two forum software platforms couldn't be any more stark. Xenforo is much more modern and cleaner looking and it's easier to use and also manage. The Xenforo community is professional, welcoming, committed, and excited about their software and that's why it makes sense to join them so our community can benefit from the best forum software available today and probably for many years to come.

It's time to move from the tired old forum software from the 90's and into the contemporary years of Xenforo. The vBulletin days are over as a forum giant and that's how it goes.

Finally, if you see changes in the site and wonder what's happening now you'll know. Please understand we may go though some downtime as we convert our site over but believe me you'll love the new look and more importantly everyone will enjoy the new functionality and ease of use.

We've had a slow start to growing our online community here at SSC but I'm totally committed to making this site one of the best self-sufficient, DIY, green, gardening sites in the world. With your help and encouragement we can get this community pumping! We can have some real frank conversations and fun conversing about a subject we're all interested in and love.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks Mark. Does that mean we're chatting on the new platform now?

Yes Lissa, that major part of the conversion is complete so it is now operating as it should. I am currently writing a new feature list and "how to" so navigating our forum and understanding all that can be done with this new software is clearer for members. It's a very good platform!

Also, there are new features and improvements still to come within the framework these are being tested ATM and will be released on our forum towards the end of the year. Things like: user based improvements to profile setup and interaction, the Personal Conversation (PC) feature enhancements, editor and mobile phone improvements.

There's lots more to do but the end result will see SSC continually improving with features and enhancements.

Top Bottom