for the composters out there

Henry

May 21, 2020
Oregon, USA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
How long would it usually take for fish scraps (bones, guts, etc) to decompose if buried a foot under?

spector

Jul 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Not sure about a fish. I have buried expired chickens into my garden beds, probably about a foot down, and they are fully "incorporated" in less than six months. That is in a rich organic soil, probably lots of microbes at work. I put a rock on the burial spot so I don't accidentally dig them up and to discourage scavengers. I had a bunny who died of old age a few years back and I buried him in my regular clay soil. I found very little trace of him (just some fur tufts) after just a few months, when I decided to plant a tree on the spot, so not sure if the organic matter has much of an impact. With a full body, however, I did find that the soil was wetter in that area from the decomposing juices.

I imagine if you are just burying scraps, they would be incorporated within a month or two, but larger bones (i.e, salmon vs. trout) will take a while.

Reactions: DTK and Henry

Henry

May 21, 2020
Oregon, USA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks for letting me know. the fish has buried in a spot for decomposition and now I have to dig in that spot. it would have really sucked to get a nose full of decomposing fish while I dug.

• Haha
Reactions: DTK

spector

Jul 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
If it has been there a month or so, I doubt you will even notice it. But inquiring minds want to know!

Reactions: DTK

DTK

Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane (SW suburbs)
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Henry - what was the outcome? Keen to hear. ;)