Flour mill

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'm looking to buy a flour mill but only using it a few times a year mainly for making polenta, corn meal etc. So buying a expensive one would not be worth it and been retired and need to watch my spending is there something that doesn't cost a arm and a leg that may be use for other items such as spice and herb blends as well as grinding corn. I do have a small herb and spice grinder but would not cope with processing corn.
Hopeing someone may have experience with a mill/grinder that may suit my needs? ☺

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've seen some inexpensive grain mills on Amazon. They are all manual, but if you don't mind/are capable of the physical effort, they would probably suit.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Would a 2 or 3 row grain mill used for homebrewing be suitable I wonder? Gives me extra 'good reasons I need a mill darling' :)

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Robbie, I can't remember if you are in Australia or America somewhere.
If in Australia try for a secondhand mill through your local organic co-op or permaculture group.
Or gumtree.
The thing with cheap mills is they have cheap blades that blunt very quickly and may be hard to replace or have cheap bearings that will seize if not continuously used.
The other thing about cheap mills is they will make the grain /flour very hot as they do the job. This will shorten the life of the flour you make and will change its molecular structure when it comes to cooking. It's why people go for stone grinding which keeps the flour cool during processing.
If you have a meat mincer with a variety of grinding plates, the plate with the tiny holes will give you a reasonable starter kibble.
Then finishing with a hand turned stone grinding wheel. These can be found secondhand because people don't want to grind by hand anymore.
Again, hunting through the alternative community may come up trumps.

I just checked google for a grinder and saw a Kenwood attachment for the Kenwood Kitchen mixer. That would probably be a quality product if you already have the mixer of course. Otherwise maybe you can find a mixer secondhand and buy a new grinder or maybe you can strike it lucky and get a full kit secondhand! I think

Then I found this which is new so you could buy it online. Its a hand operated mill. AU$75 looks like a mincer.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gow...es/corona-grain-mill-hand-operated/1253803057

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Robbie, I can't remember if you are in Australia or America somewhere.
If in Australia try for a secondhand mill through your local organic co-op or permaculture group.
Or gumtree.
The thing with cheap mills is they have cheap blades that blunt very quickly and may be hard to replace or have cheap bearings that will seize if not continuously used.
The other thing about cheap mills is they will make the grain /flour very hot as they do the job. This will shorten the life of the flour you make and will change its molecular structure when it comes to cooking. It's why people go for stone grinding which keeps the flour cool during processing.
If you have a meat mincer with a variety of grinding plates, the plate with the tiny holes will give you a reasonable starter kibble.
Then finishing with a hand turned stone grinding wheel. These can be found secondhand because people don't want to grind by hand anymore.
Again, hunting through the alternative community may come up trumps.

I just checked google for a grinder and saw a Kenwood attachment for the Kenwood Kitchen mixer. That would probably be a quality product if you already have the mixer of course. Otherwise maybe you can find a mixer secondhand and buy a new grinder or maybe you can strike it lucky and get a full kit secondhand! I think

Then I found this which is new so you could buy it online. Its a hand operated mill. AU$75 looks like a mincer.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gow...es/corona-grain-mill-hand-operated/1253803057
Hi ClissAt thankyou for that yes im an aussie from tassie. Just yesterday i bought one online very similar to the corona one from gumtree but through Amazon about the same price but postage free. I would still like to buy a good stone mill at some stage at a good price so will keep looking. I hadn't thought of the mincer i do have a semi-commercial mincer that i use for poultry, venison etc. to make sausages and salami would need to chill everything first it would generate a fair amount of heat pushing the corn through or just clog it up. Being a retired Chef i like to try differate things in stead of prepared products like polenta freshly grounded corn the flovour would be by far superior im very keen to try it.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Robbie, I bought a grain mill years ago from Skippy Grain Mills, I didn't look around as much as I should have and so I didn't see this one

You can buy the base stand and then just get each attachment as you want or need. :rolleyes: really wish I'd looked around before I got the one that only grinds things!!

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Robbie, I bought a grain mill years ago from Skippy Grain Mills, I didn't look around as much as I should have and so I didn't see this one

c

You can buy the base stand and then just get each attachment as you want or need. :rolleyes: really wish I'd looked around before I got the one that only grinds things!!
Hi Vicky i did look at that one but i had to justify cost to usage (about $330 for base and grinder which it out of stock) would only use it a few times a year and manly for milling corn for polenta etc. the one i bought was a cheaper grinding mill for $78 will see how that goes. But may look at the skippy grinding mill later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom