First time preserver

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Since moving into our country cottage, we have made an effort to be more self-sufficient and make more for ourselves. My very clever wife has made bread from scratch, including sourdough. She has also made butter from cream, and yoghurt from scratch.
As a consequence, when the apricots ripened, she told me I should make some jam. So I followed a recipe online, and made 2 jars of apricot jam that doesn't taste too bad, if I say so myself. I've also pickled some beetroot which turned out quite well. Last week I had a go at zucchini relish.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
All Good DarrenP & Cleaver Wife! :thumbsup:

There is a far greater provenance, therefore value & satisfaction to food that you have created yourself. I'm not talking monetary value although I'm sure that comes into it, but its more to do with how you cherish the food stuff.

Apricot jam.... yum!

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks ClissAT. With our bounty of zucchinis, I'm thinking of bread and butter pickles as well. My wife's favourite.

Kasalia

http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/
Premium Member
Website
retired2006.blogspot.com.au
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Once bitten as they say @DarrenP . Preserving does save money as when food is in season it is cheaper. Plus no preservatives . If you also grow it, even better.Congratulations on making such a good start.

Should you want another forum all about how to make,bake, pickle,sew,knit etc.

http://thehomemakers.freeforums.net

has it covered.

Last edited:

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Let us know how it goes using zucchini - I figure they're close enough to cucumber to taste pretty similar?

Top Bottom