Figured out how to deter squirrels easily

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by charina, Apr 6, 2015.

1. charina

charina Member Premium Member GOLD

10 years ago a bought a house with a large chunk of land. All excited I planted a bunch of fruit trees. The trees grew beatifull and produced fruit. Long story short squirrels, racoons and posums got the fruit before me. I tried everything on and off the market. The only thing that worked was netting the tree. But that was too hard. Last year I came up with an idea and after some trial and error it really worked. By the time I figured it all out I harvested 6 guavas from 2 guava trees. Not much but I was overfilled with joy. This year I harvested countless pounds of Loquats from my 2 trees. I made a video of how I did it and I am happy to share it with you
    How-to Protect Your Homegrown Fruit from Birds, Squirrels, Possums, Racoons:

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well done Charina that's a great way to recycle and also solve the common gardening problem of critters eating our fruit! :twothumbsup:

3. charina

Thank you Mark. I am glad I could share this. It makes me feel good because not everyone is capable of using the most effective method which is netting. I would say that this is the second most effective method. You cant obviously cover all of the fruit, however the rustling of the clamshels scares the squirrels as well. Also this is fun to do with your kids.

4. charina

Today I started experimenting with placing clamshells on my Mulberry. Will let you know how that works out. So far it worked on guavas and loquats. Up next peaches, apricots and apples.

5. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    They do sell a similar type of garden product specifically for fruit protection here in Oz at some gardening stores but the prices are something like $6 to $10 per plastic protector, which is kind of expensive!

6. charina

Wow, thats expensive. I could understand a buck each but at that price gardening becomes luxury rather then anything else. Well why pay if you can get ot free. As i said ask your friends and family to save them for you :)

7. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Great idea Charina. And good effort with producing your own home video to explain the technique on using those plastic containers to protect the fruit. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. charina

My pleasure Ash.
    Please feel free to share it with your friends. I am excited about this method because besides protecting fruit it can also help keep so much plastic waste out of the landfills. :)