Fermenting Green Tomatoes in Glass Jar

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Mark, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Fermentation of green tomatoes is something I just have to try and soon! One thing that we're not short of in our subtropical climate is green tomatoes and if fermenting them like a pickled cucumber works and tastes great it would be a real winner for DIY food preserving because it gives a solution for when we have a glut of produce and is pretty easy to do!

The lady in this video (Ann) has made her own fermenting jar to save costs on buying a fermenting crock or purpose built fermenting jar (they are expensive) she simply purchased the air lock valve separately and modified the jar lid. She is trialing the fermentation of green tomatoes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mataeka

Mataeka Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Did you ever try this Mark? I have a handful of green tomatoes that my helpful toddler decided to pluck off the plant :confused: I've read they can ripen off the plant but some have said only if the tomatoes had finished growing which I dont suspect is the case here....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks for reminding me about this - no I haven't tried it but I certainly will!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mataeka

Mataeka Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I didn't end up doing it either - the tomatoes did ripen! They still needed cooking as they weren't as fresh looking as the bunches of delicious red ripe ones :) But I'm glad they didn't go to waste