Fermentation

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I got the German style fermentation pot. Makes a lot more than 2 can eat in a few days so I can it. I did get a book that shows me how to ferment in small jars. Not sure which lid is best. Any suggestions?

William Welch

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I got the German style fermentation pot. Makes a lot more than 2 can eat in a few days so I can it. I did get a book that shows me how to ferment in small jars. Not sure which lid is best. Any suggestions?
I also have a German style crock, a Harsch crock, 10 liter. Depending on how sour you like it, you can let it just keep fermenting in the crock rather than can it. Just keep it cool. As far as lids for small jars, I mainly use a plastic airlock. But of recent I have just kept the cabbage under the brine and covered with cheese cloth, the kind that is a tight weave, or even a coffee filter, and had no problems at all. I have wanted to try the silicone variety, but I have come to think the main factors are temperature, and keeping the food under the brine. Look up Sandor Katz on youtube, I think that's his name. He has a lot of good advice about fermenting.

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

Use any wide-mouth jars that comes with a lid. Just make sure you give it an inch space when you fill it in case it leaks. But, you have to burp it every day till its ready to go in the fridge. You unscrew slowly till you hear the air go out and screw it back on. Don't open it and expose your ferment to air,....only burp it. Check on ytube how other people burp it. You can also buy wide-mouth mason jars and buy the silicon lids where you don't have to burp your ferments. They are good.

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you. It is nice to know I don’t have to buy a bunch of stuff.

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you. It is nice to know I don’t have to buy a bunch of stuff.
I use the Ball wide-mouth Canning jars from BigW and bought the Masontops Pickle Pipe tops online. I am lazy to burp them LOL When its ready, you take the silicone pickle pipe airlock tops out and screw the lid on and put away.

Yes, cabbage leaves are great to keep your ferments under the brine. At one time I used a small jar of water to hold content down. Now, I upgraded to Masontops Pickle Pipe airlock tops and glass pebbles. Great investment.

My go-to videos for fermented foods, I like "The Intuitive Body Foodie Network" and "Doug and Stacy". They make fermenting less intimidating.

reeeen4

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have a bunch of Weck jars I was lucky to land at Aldi a while back they are perfect for fermenting nice open wide top and can be a range of sizes, you can get proper fermenting lids for them but I just put the lid on loosely without the clips and never had an issue. You can buy these glass weights to go inside that weigh down the food too.
images

Melanie

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
if
I have a bunch of Weck jars I was lucky to land at Aldi a while back they are perfect for fermenting nice open wide top and can be a range of sizes, you can get proper fermenting lids for them but I just put the lid on loosely without the clips and never had an issue. You can buy these glass weights to go inside that weigh down the food too.
images
you like weck jars you will find that the lids for the smaller jars fit nicely Inside the larger jars as a weight.

Top Bottom