Ello ello!

Dean Gallagher

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Greetings!

Just wanted to say a quick hi and introduce myself as I'm sure I'll be using these forums like crazy.

Love your Youtube content @Mark and thanks to anyone who has given me advice on any of Marks videos. (username: MrTheJudasKiss)

My partner and I just had our first baby and moved back to be near family in Maitland (near Newcastle).
At the moment we only have a small plot of land ive been working on at my mums house (no room where we live), so I'm really trying to learn the ropes for when we move back to the Brisbane area and buy our own land.

I have attached a few photos to show our journey so far on this little plot (unfortunately between a shed and a fence so sun isn't my best friend).

So far we have harvested snow peas, watermelon radish, Daikon radish, lettuce and some carrots.

Currently I have planted at the moment: A Blueberry bush, Lettuce, Carrots, Onions, Beetroot, Brussel Sprouts (yuck), Broccoli, Peas, Broad Beans, Snow Peas, Cabbage, Potatoes and Garlic.

Most of the plants were from seed so are taking a little while to come up due to the colder weather I imagine.

A few pictures of my progress so far.

image 1.jpg image 2.jpg image 4.jpg image 5.jpg image 6.jpg image 7.jpg

Oh and Also my 'Poor mans trellis' :p
image 8.jpg

I hope to learn a lot from all of you and be an active member :)

Cheers!
Dean

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Perfect spot for growing that little human :)
I like what you have done. Don't worry about the site, just as long as you either have a good memory, or take notes of what grows best and at what time of the year. i have a garden bed next to a colourbond fence and it is north facing, so it gets very little winter sun and gets extremely hot in the summer. But as long as I get crops in between, or ones that handle the conditions, I still get produce.
It's all about trial and error when you get started.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome Dean.
After gardening in that location, you won't know yourself once you hit Brisbane!

Now I must argue in favour of the poor Brussels sprouts!

DON'T cook them!!! Make coleslaw.
If you must cook them, quarter them and fry in butter and garlic just a few minutes.
Try sweet n sour sprouts or stir fried sprouts.

Fry the sprouts then toss in sweet n sour sauce.
The dressing for stir fried is equal parts sweet chili sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, lemon or lime juice, and a slurp of dark soy sauce to taste. Fry the sprouts in oil then toss in a bit of the sauce. You can use this sauce on any fried veg.

Dean Gallagher

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Perfect spot for growing that little human :)
I like what you have done. Don't worry about the site, just as long as you either have a good memory, or take notes of what grows best and at what time of the year. i have a garden bed next to a colourbond fence and it is north facing, so it gets very little winter sun and gets extremely hot in the summer. But as long as I get crops in between, or ones that handle the conditions, I still get produce.
It's all about trial and error when you get started.

Thanks Mark :D
Although he can't walk or crawl yet, he loves being in the garden.
I have started to write down some field notes regarding my crops as I have an extremely bad memory, so that will definitely help in the future!
Thanks for the kind words and I hope to learn a heap off everyone here.

Welcome Dean.
After gardening in that location, you won't know yourself once you hit Brisbane!

Now I must argue in favour of the poor Brussels sprouts!

DON'T cook them!!! Make coleslaw.
If you must cook them, quarter them and fry in butter and garlic just a few minutes.
Try sweet n sour sprouts or stir fried sprouts.

Fry the sprouts then toss in sweet n sour sauce.
The dressing for stir fried is equal parts sweet chili sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, lemon or lime juice, and a slurp of dark soy sauce to taste. Fry the sprouts in oil then toss in a bit of the sauce. You can use this sauce on any fried veg.

Haha Thanks ClissAT!
I planted them for my partner as she loves them! But maybe I'll make an exception and try the sweet n sour sprouts as that sounds interesting!

Dean Gallagher

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Mary!

How do you find the growing climate all the way down there in SA?

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Mary!

How do you find the growing climate all the way down there in SA?

It's great in Adelaide but has noticed the increase in heat in summer. My tomatoes don't like it so I am growing more fruit trees. I have been growing some of my tomatoes under it.

Dean Gallagher

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
G'day Dean and thanks for joining SSC sorry you Premium member upgrade was overlooked for so long.

No worries, Mark!

I've been busy the past few months so haven't been able to get on here much (a 1 year old will do that to you, as you'd know)

Cheers!

Tombr

Premium Member
GOLD
Howard Springs, Northern Territory Howard Springs
Climate
Tropical
Welcome Dean
Congratulations on your new born, mine are 21 and 24 respectively, they both like the garden one more than the other but that's OK, they have learned and it looks like yours is learning as well, start early and it will never leave them.

Love your dogs, what are they, (maybe bit of a dingo in the middle)
cheers tom

Dean Gallagher

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Dean
Congratulations on your new born, mine are 21 and 24 respectively, they both like the garden one more than the other but that's OK, they have learned and it looks like yours is learning as well, start early and it will never leave them.

Love your dogs, what are they, (maybe bit of a dingo in the middle)
cheers tom

Hey Tom,

He is 15 months old now and loves to get into the garden, mostly to play in the dirt :)

My dogs (from left) are a Labrador ('Bibby'), Swiss Shepard ('Momo' .. yeah she looks like she has something in her, definately not the pure bred we thought we were buying, but doesnt matter :) ) and Beagle ('Rosie', shes very old).

I look forward to seeing your updates on your property and what you're growing :)

Top Bottom