Ebay Deals

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I only ever buy on ebay & always check gumtree almost daily now for freebies.
The freebies button is far bottom right (scroll right down)& if you want to view the ads from a wider area these days you need to change you area in the location tab.
Good stuff goes pretty much straight away on gumtree. Although some things I am looking for would not be considered good stuff by many people! I got a couple of freebie large solid pine TV cabinets with doors on to use as shelving units in the carport & the granny flat I rent out.
I also got a freebie 300lt freezer which is the mate to my fridge which was part of the Pigeon Pair set made by Kelvinator. 30yrs old & still going strong!
I always sell via gumtree.

Last edited:

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I like Gumtree but I get a lot of people making silly offers and some people don't turn up etc, so I thought I'd try ebay because it's a fixed kind of system. I'm now finding out that a lot of people have had bad experiences with it because of the fees, and also if the buyer says the item is broken ebay refunds them the money and you have to also pay for the return postage, so you could lose everything. If they side with the buyer ebay still gets the sellers fee. If they side with the seller then they ebay don't get the sellers fee. (worst case scenario).

and now to make it worse, Australia Post have had the camera more than a week, not delivered yet! ( I got a tracking number so I can see where it is)

argh

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
None of the sell/buy systems are optimal and they seem to have gotten worse for the average person with the bigger sellers getting the best fee deals whilst the occasional seller gets stung.

I haven't sold anything on eBay for a long time but I do like buying from it!

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I think there must be a real upsurge in idiots stalking gumtree.
I have just listed my Mothers Day present which was a far too big builders wheelbarrow that only got used for about 2mins on Mother's Day.
I have had several crank replies. This is the first time this has happened to one of my listings.
I have had crank replies when advertising my granny flat for rent because I place many strict criteria on who I will interview so I expect idiots to reply.
But for an as new wheel barrow being sold for 2/3 new price I did not expect such replies.
Maybe it's because I put it in the builders section.
Perhaps I should move it to the domestic gardening section where there is less likelihood of smartar$$es!

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I guess it's just too easy to make silly comments using sms/emails/social media, and there's no responsibility taken by anyone.

Update on my recent ebay sales, all sales went ok, .. but you stress a bit waiting to getting positive feedback. The fees are ridiculous. ohwell. Atleast with Gumtree the person checks the item when buying it and you don't pay fees and the deal is done on the spot.

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Atleast with Gumtree the person checks the item when buying it and you don't pay fees and the deal is done on the spot.
How does Gumtree make money then... advertising?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I remember several years ago when Gumtree first got going, how people said it would not be able to compete against ebay.
Yet here it is worldwide doing amazingly well.
Although just recently the number, size & page real estate of strip ads has grown exponentially.
It is now hard to get a page of 25 listings with thumbprint photos to load due to the scripting.
If you prevent the scripting, you don't get anything.
Well I guess that's how they make money & now there seems to be a major need for massive money.
Which makes me wonder what is coming down the line.
Perhaps another ebay type thing where we will have to pay?
Nothing free lasts forever.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
yer I'm sure Gumtree will have some kind of minimum fee one day.

Remember when all the classifieds were in the newspaper, and then that was destroyed by the Trading Post...it came out, every two weeks? Thursdays I think... and you'd get it as soon as possible and search each section. ... ahh back in the days when you had to ring people up.

There'll probably always be free classifieds, always free to start off and then they become monsters that need more money :eat:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
10% off eBay (Australia) until midnight tonight...

10% off ebay .jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Speaking of cameras, I'm hoping for a GoPro for Xmas from the misses... she has dropped a few hints (she's horrible at keeping secrets) :p

I've been wanting one for a long time and I often browse eBay AU for a bargain on a GoPro but hopefully come end December I won't require one anymore ;)

Top Bottom