Geo

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 18, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Here's hoping winter will treat your growing veggies well. I would love fresh produce from my own garden in the winters :)

Reactions: nzmitzi and spector

DTK

Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane (SW suburbs)
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My goal is not necessarily to grow everything I need, but to have something that I can harvest, despite the season. There is something delicious about walking outside and being able to pick a fresh strawberry, or a peach, or a lemon, or a cucumber, etc, no matter what time of year it is. I try, every day, to find something that has ripened and is ready to eat, and whatever it is, it doesn't usually make it back into the house!
I love that idea Spector. Just today I notice a snap pea that had my name on it (figuratively). There were just a few; nowhere near enough for a meal but the taste/flavour was a treat for me.

Reactions: nzmitzi and Geo

spector

Jul 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I love that idea Spector. Just today I notice a snap pea that had my name on it (figuratively). There were just a few; nowhere near enough for a meal but the taste/flavour was a treat for me.
Exactly!! There is nothing quite like it!

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 26, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I try every day to get at a minimum my daily herbs from the garden. We also get our daily greens directly from the garden. I still shop at the supermarket (no real bulk buying stores in NZ) but nowhere near as much as I used to.

EDIT: Our garden is only 4 years old so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo

DTK

Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane (SW suburbs)
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Way to go nzmitzi. As Mark says, you don't have to be self-sufficient in everything, but be self-sufficient in something... or words to that effect.

Reactions: Geo and nzmitzi

spector

Jul 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Is it bad that I am already anxious for next spring? I have some new (to me) varieties of veggies I want to try. I feel like that old ad, where the customers stood outside the closed glass doors, chanting "open, open, open." I suspect I will be starting some seeds inside FAR too early next year!

Reactions: Geo

Geo

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 18, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Is it bad that I am already anxious for next spring? I have some new (to me) varieties of veggies I want to try. I feel like that old ad, where the customers stood outside the closed glass doors, chanting "open, open, open." I suspect I will be starting some seeds inside FAR too early next year!
I feel that's something every gardner goes through :)

But you know... you could push it and try to grow in the off-season... just to satiate your thirst :D

Reactions: spector

Vicky

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 27, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you for moving the thread.
I'm thinking that growing a completely balanced diet is possible. We haven't been trained to do it 100%-yet I believe it's possible. We are use to buying our junk food goodies, and not SO necessary items-giving up those creature comforts is the real issue for many people. .it's all about training and perspective.
You are right Martha, it's hard to break the lifelong habit of eating out of the supermarkets or Greengrocers or butchers or where ever it is that we like to shop at and scale back on the quantities that we like to purchase. It CAN be done but no one wants to. No one wants to give up their luxuries, it's understandable, there will be all sorts of reasons or excuses and I'd be just as guilty as the next person for that ;)

Now, if a person were to choose to live that way, it could take a long time (depending on circumstances) to change lifelong behaviour and tastes, finding alternatives that you like and possibly some things that you simply do not!!, then you would have other people to deal with "why would you want to do that?" and "are you feeling ok?" and things like "there's no need to go without dear, we're not poor you know".
Best just to get on with what you decide to do and let other people get on with what they decide :whistles:

It is awesome though, when you meet/find someone else who does the same by choice, then you can have a good old yarn about what works for you what works for them and ideas that you have but haven't tried etc etc etc :wave: