Easiyo yoghurt with milk powder

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Daniel.Mav, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Daniel.Mav

Daniel.Mav Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hey everyone, I’ve been making my own yoghurt for awhile now and it didn’t take long for me to get sick of depending on the Easiyo packets to make it. So, I’ve been using milk powder for a few months now and I’m loving it. It’s much cheaper and still tastes great. Check out the video.

2. Raymondo

Raymondo Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi , used to use this idea when we were offshore cruising on our cat, sometimes for 8 weeks at a time without replenishing stores , you just have to be careful of cross contamination which can weaken the bacterial strain. Another trick is to just use a couple of tablespoons of the yoghurt mix with milk powder , most of the powder in the sachets is milk powder and all you need is a little of the bacteria to kick start the process , mm I think I'm off to make some yoghurt now , happy cooking ah Yoplait eets Frrench for yoghurt !
    Cheers Raymondo

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel.Mav

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Nice one mate, cheers for the tips. I freeze good quality yoghurt as my culture for when the yoghurt starts to have off flavours from using the previous yoghurt each time.

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    This might even convince me to drag out my easiyo and try it!
    I stopped buying the sachets several years ago because when the company changed hands into kiwi ownership, the flavour changed which I didn't like.
    I don't like the flavour of powdered milk and that is what I was getting in the new kiwi yoghurt.
    Bit I might give it a go. I could use a spoon of my current brand of yoghurt, dairy farmers vanilla.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel.Mav

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Definitely ClissAT, make sure you blend it really well otherwise it’ll come out grainy. I’ve never tried to use flavoured yoghurt as a starter. Let me know how it turns out.