Drought!

Discussion in 'Other' started by ClissAT, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Commiserations @GlennoFromKenno - did they rot off at the base or just get smashed by the power of the rainfall?

2. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Still trying to find out how friends and family in Tassie fared. I know there've been at least a few deaths, which is just tragic. Some heart-wrenching footage online of locals trying to save cows from rivers congested with flotsam and jetsam. Or just from getting washed out to sea. I'm guessing it doesn't take long to exhaust a cow by swimming. Sadly there's already reports of dead cattle washing up on beaches. :cry:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GlennoFromKenno

GlennoFromKenno Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    They just got hammered by the rain fortunately Mark - should hopefully recover!

I hope your friends and family are okay Oskar!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

I got hit pretty hard on the south side of Brissy too. I used the last drops out of my 20,000 lt rainwater tanks the day before the rains came and then they were full within 2 hours!
    And I had a heap of dirt moved around the days prior which unfortunately took all the protective grasses out.
    Then when the rains came half my dirt got eroded away. It's amazing how much the plants protect our precious soil.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Fantastic!

My sisters place out in Toowoomba (near @Ash) didn't get much rain and they rely on tank water so they were spewing!

6. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    @Steve do you have on-grid water as well as your tanks?

7. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    They are thankfully, though one local died in very tragic circumstances, it didn't directly affect my family, for which I'm enormously grateful. Caught up with Tassie friends weekend just gone, and they're all remarkably positive now...country people...very resilient!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Yes mate, we use the rainwater for toilets, washing machine, and garden watering/pool top ups.
    There was a website somewhere that i found where you plugged in your location and what type of water needs you may have and it gives you the best size rainwater tanks based on the avg rainfall for your area. We've only been here a couple of months but it's working well so far.
    Mains water is just for kitchen, shower etc.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Aannnddd here we go again....another east coast low developing off NSW & heaps of rain bearing down from out west for QLD'ers.

At least we got heaps of warning this lot was coming.
    But it doesn't negate the fact that most places along the coastal strip in both QLD & NSW really don't need anymore rain.

But those out west will be celebrating for sure.
    Supposed to be storms here in SE QLD later tonight or tomorrow morning followed by a heap of rain.

Yay! way to go!! :p

I did a lot of prep today incase there is a lot of rain tomorrow.
    I raked up all the bedding in the chook shed to be sure it doesn't get wet & cleared out the drains around that shed because cluckles obligingly fill them in for me after each rain! :nearlygotme: So hopefully they will remain dry even though their roof leaks. I previously covered half the roof with a tarp & the other half is weather proof in fine weather ;)

As for my stuff, I finished a furniture reno project & brought those cupboards upstairs. I have my next cupboard reno project (which I collected yesterday) still loaded in the back of my landcruiser so I reversed that in under my best & most protected carport & covered it with a blue tarp.

So I am ready I hope for what comes. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We got some great falls again today but without the damaging winds which is perfect! I always dread winds being on a treed block it usually means work the next day cutting up fallen branches and sometimes full trees!

11. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've had around 100ml today with more tonight.
    By last light which was around 4.30pm here due to the heavy cloud, I could just make out run-off down the paddock, so hopefully the dam will be full in the morning.
    I just love waking to the sight of a full dam! It's usually a summer activity to get up early at first light & run out to see if the dam is full.
    Funny that this year that activity is likely to happen in winter around the shortest day of the year!

• Like Like x 1
  12. GlennoFromKenno

GlennoFromKenno Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Is the rain wrecking anyone's lettuces? Or just me :(

The leaves go soggy and start to rot off. I think it might be the rain combined with the sun-light poor backyard we have. They probably only get about 2-3 hours on sun at the moment. All my other greens seem fine though.

13. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi there Keno, no, mine are fine......well I think they are still fine this morning!
    We must've had a frost overnight although I haven't checked because I don't want to take my warm ugg boot off yet!:D Temps here at 9.15am are still under 10degrees inside the house ....never mind the outside temps!:shock:

2-3hrs sunlight should be ok for most lettuce varieties. All it would do is make the leaves grow longer or lanky & not so tightly packed. I grow several large pots of plants on my verandahs which don't get much sunlight but they still do ok.

Where exactly on the leaf do you see the rot beginning? Could there be slugs or other critters feasting on the midribs near the stem? That would promote rot to begin on the underside of a leaf where it joins the stem. As they move from plant to plant they transfer the rot in their mouth parts which infects the next plant.

If it is on the outer margin of the leaf, that would indicate a nutritional imbalance. I'd have to look it up but it may simply be lack of nitrogen. And you know the cure for that one, hey?;)

Another solution to help all your garden plants generally to be stronger, is to buy some soluable Potassium (K). As a top up for my garden, I use one that comes in a pink bottle (I think it's Searles brand) & spray that on. If you only have a few plants, make it up in a 1lt spray pack &squirt some on every week for a few weeks.

Generally the signs of K deficiency is rusty spotting on the older leaves or sometimes simply the older leaves go yellow, crispy & die a lot quicker than they should. On lettuces that might mean they succumb to some endemic fungal or bacterial infection sending the leaves rotten sooner than they should normally die.

14. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Had some great light rain over the last few weeks!! Heaps of tank water and the gardens are going great! ahhh what a :cheers:great place to live

• Agree Agree x 1