Question Dragonfruit vine support to stop falling over

Donette

Premium Member
Aug 27, 2017
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ok, so does anyone have suggestions for support of a 200 pound dragonfruit plant? Mine broke the pressure treated 4x4 that was cemented in the ground and collapsed the fence attached as it sprawled. Pic is last year, it almost doubled in size/blooms
FB_IMG_1502326273380.jpg

Reactions: Berkeloid

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They're not easy to handle that size either! I had to retro fit two vines that broke the posts also and it's a tough job - I got plenty of spikes out of it :)

You could reinforce the current position with some type of trellising frame like a steel mesh and let it hang over.

Or, you could wait until it's finished fruiting and then give it a really good trim back to lighten it up before digging in another support post and attaching the main leader to that.

It's a healthy looking plant and it obviously loves that position!

Is that an internal fence on your property?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes I have to agree with Mark.

Two ways to solve that predicament:- 1 build a bigger stronger fence that can handle such a heavy character; 2 give it a darned good hair cut once the fruit is finished.

But again with the second option, due to your excellent growing conditions you will still need the bigger, stronger fence or trellis to hold it on.

Reactions: Donette

Donette

Premium Member
Aug 27, 2017
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We pruned about half the weight 5 days ago.....now each stem/branch is sprouting 3-4 new flower buds. I guess I should have been pruning diligently the whole time. Still working on getting a metal post in ground. Havent figured how to do it without cutting up the roots. What crazy is the stem from ground has withered to barely connected, about 1 " diameter. Its living off all the air roots attached to the wood fence. I saw on Project Pitaya that this is common when they get big enough they detach from ground. Before pruning ai only ever got 1 flower per branch. Thats why i let it keep branching to get more flowers, but apparently the pruning triggers multiple flowers per branch.

Donette

Premium Member
Aug 27, 2017
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Btw its 3 years old never set fruit even when i hand pollinated, so I have advertised on FB trying to find someone with another variety to trade cuttings with for cross pollination. No luck yet, but I found some recipes for cooking the flowers which are supposed to taste like asparagus so I will use them for a vegeyable until I get another variety. Trying to find recipe and nutritional analysis for eating the stems. Any links appreciated

Tony Baker

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2018
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Two of my best produces snapped off their post a few weeks ago. I did have them on flat pine sleeps so I knew it would only be a matter of time. I'm not home at the moment so my wife and son had to fix them up with a new round post.

Reactions: Patty