Featured Dragon fruit support frame.

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Director, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Mark Healey

Mark Healey Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We put three to each post, which are wooden, and have 10,000 posts in total.

Shortly, we'll be using concrete posts on an extension to our plantation. The posts in this instance will be 15 cm in dimension with iron rods running through them. The rods will extend out of the top of the post, be bent at an angle, and a tire fixed on the top. Because they are made of concrete, they'll be able to bear 4 plants per post as opposed to three on the wooden posts. More expensive in production, but a 30% increase in fruit production once mature.

Hope this answers your question.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks for explaining your method that's very interesting! The dragon fruit plants sure look neat in rows and trained up 3 to a post like that - it's obviously the best way to grow them commercially and in the backyard.

3. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    oooo. I've got one growing up an old tree stump, I might make a little frame on top.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi all. I have a dragon fruit growing, stopping, growing - pretty strange - and after a year no signs of fruits. I use compost tea sometimes with epsom salts thrown in. Looks healthy, but not fruiting.
    As for a support. I did my research and realised that I may have had the perfect solution just lying around waiting for it's usefulness. A patio umbrella without the fabric. It may not end being a great idea once the plant becomes heavier but for now it is doing great.

5. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Stevo, if you had watched Mark's video blog, he did an episode on a different way of planting the dragon fruit. he planted in a big pot on top of a stump. No word yet on total success but it looks good to me. Really you just need the height and a way for the branches to 'hang'. Oops just checked and in fact mark did reply. what is the progress?

6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Getting plenty of fruit and flowers from this set-up - here's my latest update (below) - try to overlook my part nudity... :p

Does it get a lot of water?