Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Nah, the rooster is actually one of my own mixes Australorp cross with something. I don't normally keep roosters but this fella is an exception cause of his looks and very kind nature.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Lookin good Mark. It must be keeping you fit aswell :trainingweights:

Back fence is done!

Today, I found enough time to tack my dog mesh onto the posts. Even though all the posts are cemented in I decided to put in a corner post support (split log treated pine 1.8 m) held at the foot by a star picket.

I needed the extra strength in the last post because to get the wire taught I used my hand winch. What I did was attached the wire (down the other end) to a 6 foot star picket and then centrally pulled the picket with my winch until the whole 80 mtrs of dog mesh along the fence line was nice and tight. Then, I started from this end and tacked the mesh onto each post with large galvanised "U" staples 2.2 mils.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with how the rear fence turned out - it's taught, strong, and you'd be lucky to get a flat hand under the bottom run (no dog is pushing under this fence) :chuffed:

View attachment 531

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Lookin good Mark. It must be keeping you fit aswell :trainingweights:
Thanks Stevo, but I'm feeling a bit stiff - just popped 2x Panadol before... :rolleyes: All that hammering and unraveling wire really works the shoulders.

Should have 3 sides done by Sunday arvo.

The front fence is a bit tricky because I'm incorporating it with a small retaining wall around the picnic area (bit like a raised viewing area at the zoo) and also need to put on a 2 m wide gate (wide enough to get my ute through when needed).

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Three sides of my dog proof fence for my chickens and ducks is done.

Here is an example of how to tighten a wire fence before fixing to posts using the hand winch method.

It starts by having an overhang of wire past the last post then wrapping or securing the wire to a spare post, star picket, or in this case a split pine log.

Then attach hand winch with a recovery strap about midway up the pulling post.

Winch until the wire starts to strain then go and check the tension and re-position/straighten the wire if required.

Once everything looks good then winch until taught (this should not take much) do not over tighten. Walk down the fence line again and feel the tension it should be nice and tight and unable to be easily twisted or bowed by hand but still movable.

Tack the wire to the top of each post with galvanised "U" staples ensuring it's the right height and the bottom run is flush with the ground.

Start from the furthermost post and tack each run to the posts.

Release the winch tension and a nice taught fence will remain :)

wire fence pulling to make taught fencing.jpg

winch strap fencing to make taught.jpg

winch hand to make fence taught.jpg

hand winch turpher for fencing taught.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not long, I have done the whole fence line just have to fill a few spots with rubble rock around the bottom to complete the dog proofing, put on a gate, and finish my retaining wall around the picnic/chicken viewing area. Hope to have most done by end of weekend - will post some update pics tonight.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
OK, I finished the retaining wall for our picnic area which overlooks our chicken park I have a lot of tidying up to do and I still have to lay down some rubble rock around the front fence line to dog proof it and put my gate on but it's nearly done. :heat:

retaining wall chicken viewing picnic area.jpg

retaining wall chicken viewing picnic area 2.jpg

Here is the before shot - pretty tragic hey :)

before shot of picnic area.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The final thing to show in completing my dog proof chicken fence is my gate. It's 1.5 m high and was cut to size (cost $98) it's plenty wide enough for my ute to get through. Under the gate I have continued with the rubble rock trench so dogs can't dig under.

my gate for chicken paddock.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have made a video detailing how I went about building this fence but I haven't written an article on the blog yet - will do over the next few days and detail a few extra things like costings for materials etc.

Here's the video - it's a bit long... :)

Top Bottom