Dog breed for small property

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Jennatis, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Jennatis

Jennatis Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi all,
    We will be looking at getting a dog when we move to our 5 acre property. We will have chooks and haven't decided on what other livestock yet.
    We thought either a border collie or kelpie would be suitable and safe with the chooks. Conisdering a kelpie due to the shorter coat to make it easier to check for ticks.
    Any thoughts /experience on this?
    Thanks

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Border collie is a good farm dog because of their kind nature and obsession with activity lol...

Our neighbors have a pure Border collie it's very playful.

We have a Border collie cross with a Jack Russell and although I would be obviously biased he is the best dog I've ever had.

So easy to train, is great with the poultry but also a good rat catcher!

I think a kelpie would also be a wonderful dog and short hair is definitely a good attribute not just for ticks but also dirt and prickles like those damn cobbler pegs that stick to everything! You tend to get pockets of weeds on acreages.

3. James P

James P Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We have a beagle and he is great around our birds! Im not sure if this trait is the same throughout all beagles considering they were bred for hunting, although in saying that, they were bred to hunt foxes so maybe it is....
    A border collie would do the job very well considering how obedient and easily taught they are and I could say the same for a kelpie

It would really come down to personal preference :thumbsup:

James

4. Jennatis

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks Mark,
    I think it might be a case of the dog picks us when we go looking!
    Jennatis

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jennatis

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks James,
    I owned a beagle years ago and he was adorable. He got into lots of strife though and did what he wanted to do not what we wanted him to do! He died by confronting a snake. The hunter in him I suppose.
    I'm hoping it will be a case of, when we meet the right dog that it is the right dog!
    Jennatis

6. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    When choosing any dog you have to look at the natural instincts of the dog. For example Cattle dogs, Kelpie, Border Collie etc have been bred as working dogs, they round things up. Obviously all dogs can be trained but if you want to stop them from doing something that is in their DNA then more training is required and at times they may revert to that natural instinct. We had a Border Collie once when our kids were little and when they ran around the dog kept trying to round them up and was nipping them on the butt :) I'm not saying not to get cattle dogs and the like or any other breed for that matter just using them as an example.

An example of the natural instinct and nature of the dog coming out.

7. Jennatis

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks!

8. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    There's an acreage down the road from us and they have two big Bullmastiffs every time I jog past on my runs they bounce and bound down the fenceline like a couple of lions. They're never overly aggressive towards me, I must say, but I reckon I'd break Usain Bolt's 100 m record if they got out :D

The other thing that's amusing is the chickens they have free-ranging around the yard... it's so counterintuitive to see hens safely clucking away in between these big dogs but I guess they're well trained!

9. Jennatis

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Yep, it isn't just about the breed is it. It's a combinationof training, owner & breed & any other influences in their lives :dog:

• Agree Agree x 1