Question Does pure honey mean pure honey?

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Mark, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Is it true honey sold as "pure" can have glucose added?

We're having an extended family argument about it on Boxing day :)

2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    well I've never heard of that but i'm no expert. Was there an outcome?

but on a side note, I reckon you've probably increased you and your families bee knowledge (native and other) over the last year because of this site and how the subject keeps coming up. :cheers:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

I've never heard that either but you would think if it was sold commercially that the ingredients are listed as such.

On a side note, I've always wondered about the legitimacy of honey that claims it is 'organic'. Can the bee owner 100% guarantee that? Or is it even something that would be so insignificant that it shouldn't be bought into the equation?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well in the end, we agreed to disagree and then I got too inebriated to investigate it further.

My argument was exactly the same as yours @Steve that it would have to be labeled as such: something like, "glucose added" or in the ingredients somewhere. Pure honey HAS to mean pure honey surely! But yesterday others were adamant that they get around Australian labelling laws somehow - interestingly no one could point to any hard evidence to back their claims so we have to put this down to rumour I think unless something else comes to light.

As for organic, yes it would be interesting to find out how they certify this because bees can travel quite a long way :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

A while back there was honey coming from China that was sold in the big supermarkets. Apparently it was anylized(sorry mis-spelled to accomodate censor- won't allow a-n-a-l-yzed)) as glucose and flavours - an ingenious blend made to taste like honey. Even so-called pure honey, if it is blended, contains glucose or other sugars and additives to stop it candying.
    The labelling laws in Australia(like our human rights record) are recognised world-over as a joke. It would be a joke except for the potential dire outcomes they allow.
    Like all politically correct, capitalist policy, labelling laws are a sinister deception to shaft customers whilst guaranteeing mega-profit for the big taxpayers.
    Yes, you can trust the "guvment"- to shaft you and poison you! Remember Thalidomide? Remember DDT? Remember Tobacco? Remember Asbestos? Yes this abomination we live under also allowed, profited from and promoted these too! PPPHHHHHT!!!!!!!! Murderers and deceptive SCUM! Not worthy of human classification.
    Capitalists in government, multinational conglomerates selling food and medicines, chemical and petroleum companies; all do as they please with no regard for this Earth or any of its inhabitants. Meanwhile the guvment treats us like wards of the state, they scold and fine us, make us jump through many hoops, and then lock us up with murderers and psychopaths if we don't comply!!!.
    A holier-than-thou elitist echelon looking down their noses at their ignorant and poor charges. We still live in a penal colony. Don't EVER expect a penal-capitalist system to deliver truth, equality, OR particularly justice.
    Line 'em all up against the wall, I say again.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That censor always gets you Tim :D I'll see if I can adjust it lol...

That's a really good point about adding glucose to possibly prevent candying I wonder if they are allowed to use additives without declaring as you say?

I would like to know if my honey has added cane sugar and I'm sure most people would o_O

I've always tried to trust food labels but I'm becoming quite a septic now!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tim C

Yeah I've been a septic for along time, if you couldn't tell!...Oh, and a skeptic.:ROFL:
    The censor must have edited your "k"...

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's NOT the censor thats the auto spell on my damn phone! Septic... lol :hysterical:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tim C

I have been told I'm full of :cantsay:**it before...-and skepticism.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I sent an email to Capilano Honey asking if they use glucose in their honey but they haven't got back to me... I kind of don't expect a response but would that mean they are guilty of adding "stuff" to their "pure honey" or just incompetent at customer service and answering emails? :dunno:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Steve

Incompetence is my first thought....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah, probably... But why have a Contact Us page if they don't monitor it then?

• Like Like x 1
  13. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's pretty funny... but.. the "communication officer" is probably on four weeks holidays.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hmmm.... Yes, I didn't think of that. Well he can redeem himself if he answers me when he gets back then :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think when it comes to labelling they only have to declare an item is in the product if it's over a certain percent. I might be wrong. I too would like to know about sugar in honey. Maybe we all need to find a nice place to buy it direct from someone who has bees :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes well the reason it became a heated argument disagreement on Boxing Day was because my mother, heard from her sister, that her husband (my uncle), buys honey in bulk direct from a honey supplier who claims glucose is routinely added to honey - or something like that (I had a few beers at that point)...

So, if it is said in the industry there could be some truth to the story. However, honey usually takes some time to crystallise and I'm thinking the product probably moves off the shelves fast enough anyway. We've never kept honey that long from a beekeeper to see it go to crystals, although, we have accepted old crystalised honey before from friends - it's still fine to eat.

I'm still leaning towards most supermarket honey in Australia today being completely natural with no additives.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Steve

My dads uncle used to be a bee-keeper and we were always getting honey by the 10L drum.
    The rate at which it would candy really depended on the season, ie the temperature, and where it was stored.
    The honey we kept in the cooler spots (the tin shed in winter) seemed to candy a lot sooner than the stuff we kept in the warmer house. Probably temperatures fluctuations had a bit to do with how quick it would candy.
    I think you're right Mark, the store products would sell much quicker then it takes to candy.

Doing a bit of reading online tonight it seemed that 'adulterated' honey (ie with added sugar of some type) is normally watered down as well which means it goes further but also needs the additional sugar content to bring the sweetness back up. Personally I doubt any of the big name brands would risk such a process as the consequences could be quite drastic in such an niche industry. I mean, companies that sell honey probably don't have many, if any, other product lines to fall back on if they lost their customer base for their honey. I think it would be too risky.

Just my thoughts.
    Cheers

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here's the reply from a Capilano rep - I agree with you Steve and believe the rep:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your email,

Capilano Honey has nothing added to it, Capilano honey is 100% pure Australian Honey only.

Candying or crystallisation of honey is a natural process relating to the characteristics of individual honeys. Our premium blends are made up of first grade honey varieties, with some of these varieties containing fast candying properties. As honey is a natural product it will sometimes crystallise more quickly than we would like.

The process of candying can be reversed by simply placing the pack in hot water until the crystals liquefy. This will return the honey to liquid form and does not affect the quality of the honey. More information regarding honey and how to heat candied honey can be found on our website at www.capilano.com.au .

Enjoy

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mary Playford

Mary Playford Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I need a job…I should apply for a job with Capilano Honey and do a better customer service for them LOL
    Yum honey,… loves them.

You got your reply from Capilano Honey...yay! :dance:

20. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Speaking of adding things to honey, this thread has given me a great idea... flavoured honey!

You could add, ... coffee! everyone loves coffee! :cheers: