Death from drinking unpasteurised milk

Discussion in 'Exercise, Health, and Well-being' started by Mark, Dec 11, 2014.

1. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Raw milk is not contaminated with bacteria...just like human breast milk isn't. It's bacteria that enter from the teat that cause the problem. So a human baby feeding from breast does not require milk pasteurisation as it will likely have it's mother's skin flora anyway.
    I however would not like to take the risk that Joe Bloggs dairy farmer up the road with his grotty sanitation (or no sanitation) would be allowed to contaminate the WHOLE milk truck full of milk, and then drink that unpasteurised. Can you imagine the amount of bacterial replication that would occur enroute to the factory and through the bottling process?
    If you would like to drink the milk produced by your own cow, with sanitation standards you enforced personally, go right on ahead. (and I probably would be happy to do that, as I would be the person taking the risk). Could I live with myself if I caused a pregnant mum to get Listeriosis...well no, I couldn't.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes you are right there Oakar, it depends on the sanitation of the farmer or cow hand.
    Funny how standards have slipped over the last many years with the advent of chemical sanitation which was touted as the be all & end all of the demise of bacterial infections.

Here we are having to kill our food either chemically or by irradiation in the 21st century to ensure we don't die form eating it when 100's years ago they didn't do any thing to food other than harvest it & eat it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Timely to note the tragic deaths of 3 people now from Listeria due to contaminated rockmelon (canteloupe if you're down south). Like whooping cough (pertussis) these things are unfortunately more common than people assume. Although it's easy to point to finger at governments and mourn that we live in a "Nanny State" - there's no denying the average life expectancy has increased dramatically as a result of these kind or rules and regulations. Hundreds of years ago, people DID die from the food they harvested - it was just considered part of life, and unavoidable.

• Like Like x 1