Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah I havnt grown carrots from seedlings but I figured itll be the same as seperating onion seedlings.
Sort of but not really... carrots are a funny crop and don't like transplanting from punnent to garden.

That's why the nursery often recommend planting out in a clump so the roots don't get disturbed too much.

Starting from tray and then planting out can be done of course but it's better to directly sow seed into the bed.

I think growing carrots together with sweet potato would be tricky but I love your attitude Dan! Carrots do have a pretty good canopy when planted closely so that does tend to help with weeds when the carrots get bigger.

Daniel.Mav

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks mark, it was a laborious job seperating the carrots but I found the more mature seedlings were alot easier so I've repotted the smaller seedlongs and will wait until they are older to seperate them. I ended up cuttimg.back the sweet potato vines and mulched them into the bed as well as adding compost on top. Hopefully they will survive the transplant and mouse attacks.

So I've planted out the following from seedlings but havnt been able to finish my planting because I've pulled my back this week and am now stuck laying down.... Great way to end the school holidays (I'm a teacher) so here's what I've got in ground for winter -
Cabbage, carrot, black russian tomato, egg plant, kale (2 types),broccoli and spinach (which a rodent has eaten most leaves off it im hoping they may bounce back from. The stubs they are)

Still need to plant out seedlings of bok choy, onion (red and brown), perenial leeks (thanm you Christie) and more carrots.

I've also go seeds in the shade house which havnt germinated yet but they are - kale, cabbage, spinach, broccoli, tomato (2 types) and beetroot.

Need to direct sow beans and peas still too!
I feel like there's not enough time to do it all! Oh and since my spinach was eaten I've placed a ring of wire fencing around my seedlings and so far no more damage!
All my traps were set off but no casualties yet! I went down earlier in the week and they seem to be hanging out in the trees above the chicken run. Any ideas on how to stop them?

Daniel.Mav

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So we’ve moved to our new 1 acre block.
I made this quick video showing the backyard. Let me know what you think and I’ll upload some more videos showing the different areas in more detail. Feedback would be great.

Daniel.Mav

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So my daughter wanted to plant some purple plants! Needless to say we go some purple cabbages and purple flowers for her to plant. Check out the video. She’ll be a budding gardener for sure!

Daniel.Mav

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have been busy with our new baby boy but we are not back in the garden. Check out this new video and see the changes from last year. Let me know if you want to see anything in more detail.

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Great vid Daniel. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom