Cute and rustic chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Mark, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Took this pic on our walk today all the chickens were already inside and sundown was still about an hour away (you can just see one in the open door if you look closely) but what I like about the chicken tractor/hutch is how underwhelming it is in the middle of this huge paddock!

There are about 8 chickens and they have this full yard (not dog proofed) to roam about and free-range. Obviously, the tractor is just a simple metre high structure for a place to lay and be locked up at night. I couldn't see any wheels on it so they must just drag it around.

Anyway, it does the job and what chicken wouldn't be happy with all this space to forage - thought I'd share it :)

chicken house in middle of paddock.jpg

2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    it needs more gadget, .... solar panel on the roof, battery, and a motor that drives the wheels and moving at about 1 metre per hour during daylight, then the next day it goes back. :idea: .. and maybe an electric fence wire on the outside to eliminate preditors :assassin:

3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Those additions make a lot of sense actually! Imagine having a self slow moving chicken tractor powered by solar - there would definitely be a market for it.

A chicken tractor should be moved daily and this can be a pain to do for various reasons but automated I reckon that's visionary :)

4. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I just had a thought, you'd have to design it so if the chickens fell asleep against the trailing wall during the day, and it moved forward too fast they didn't get their feet trapped and then they're scraped flat by the trailing wall... maybe some spikes sticking out to poke them in the eye so they move forward .

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think it would be unlikely but I guess it's something one should plan against happening. If the electronic gearing in the tractor only crept slowly inch-by-inch taking its full length in a whole day it'd be pretty safe wouldn't it?

6. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Awesome ideas here. This definitely has merit.

My first thought was those cordless vacuum cleaners that scoot around the house and when it hits a wall it turns around and scoots off in a different direction.
    But it might need to be geared down a little.

If a mesh floor was installed no chicken could be scraped along when it moved.
    I would love to have the equipment and space to design something like this.
    Ho-hum, pushing a pen behind a desk is my lot in life at the moment but all these ideas are piling up inside my head. One day they will all explode out...:nuts:

• Funny Funny x 1