Cups or nipples

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Letsgokate, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Looking to get chickens again in the next few months. In the past for watering I have used PVC pipe with the little cups screwed into the bottom. These do work great but found at times they can become blocked with dirt from the chooks or dust being kicked up from them. I did lift them off the ground further and made the chooks stand on a block so they weren’t standing in the dirt but they can still get dirt in them from beaks etc.

So am considering the nipple style ones, has anyone had any experience with these?

If also using cups how did the nipple type compare?

Could you have a mixture of cups and nipples? Or would just just use the cup style as I have read the nipple ones aren’t a natural way for the chickens to drink.

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Kate, if you run a hose gently on the ground to form a rivulet, chooks will come from miles around to drink from the shallow stream.
    That's where chooks prefer to drink. They'll drink absolutely filthy water!
    It always made me cringe watching them prefer the rain water rivulet running through the dust and straw on the ground when there was clean water in a nice 2lt drinking bowl.

3. Ningauble3020

Ningauble3020 Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I prefer nipples.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks for the replies, I didn’t get notice of these.

Running a hose on the ground is not practical if I leave the house. We want them to be set up for weekends away etc.

There are now horizontal nipples and they sound pretty good so might look at going that way :)

5. reeeen4

reeeen4 Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    We have the horizontal nipples and cups. I don't mind either they both seem to work ok. Our chickens are on pasture so not much dirt around to clog them up. I have noticed that the younger chicks like to peck at them for fun and make a bit of a mess just pecking them and not drinking the water. But they seem to stop doing it as much when they grow up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vivienneleroux

Vivienneleroux Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    On the farm we used either the nipples or the same set up you'd use for rabbits/rodents. The ones with the little roller ball. Worked great especially for chicks. Here's a stock photo of one.

Attached Files:

7. JPAT

JPAT Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    We have the cups and I don't like them specifically for the dirt, we are re-routing our fencing for the hens to include part of our spring fed creek that comes down the mountain.

8. Julie Haaksma

Julie Haaksma Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Kate,
    I use Nipples for newly hatched chicks - no way they can drown.
    I sometimes put a dish underneath the nipple, (when they are older) to catch the drips when they play with it too much.
    I use cups for older chicks & adults.
    I spray the cups out with the hose (or a pop-top bottle), when they get dirt in them.
    I live in a fairly hot climate & believe the cups are better - they allow them to get more water quickly.
    Both nipples & cups require regular maintenance to ensure they are working properly & not leaking.

9. reeeen4

reeeen4 Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Which nipples do you use? I’ve had trouble finding ones my quail chick and chicks can get water out of. I just got a guinea pig waterer today and it seems to work well but they do take up a bit of room.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  10. Troy

Troy Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hey,
    I first brought nipples as I had a coop with Muscovy ducks and chickens, they ensured that there was always a clean water source in the pen. The ducks were very messy with the water tubs.
    water nipple.jpg water cup.jpg avian-care-chicken-waterer-red-white.jpg
    I currently use the cups on my quail cage, it is hooked up to a 4L bottle that has been painted out to prevent mold. They work great and don't hold enough water in the bottom to have drowning issues. That said my Japanese quails were teenagers when I moved them from their brooding box.

I found that both the cups and nipples shown work really well with the small pressure pipe sold at Bunnings, just drill a hole and screw them in, the materials are soft enough that they do not need thread tapping. They also fit the inside diameter of a broken off 13mm poly pipe barb fitting, this made for a quick and easy conversion to standard irrigation pipe.

I did loose a quail chick to the third style in the pictures, I tried saucers and everything and one still found a way to drown in only a couple mm of water.....