Critters near the Chook House

Discussion in 'Other' started by ClissAT, Dec 6, 2015.

1. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Today I have been burning dead fall branches plus those from some of the trees that the storm brought down last Monday. I had the fire bin over near the chook pen.

As I bent down to pick up this branch it fluffed up! Well the lizard basking on the branch did anyway.
    I was so glad to see it because being a juvenile it means the lizards are breeding even though the neighbour's cat is doing it's darndest to gobble up the breeding stock. [​IMG]

So I took the branch away a bit from the fire are & set it down on an old log.
    Almost straight away the lizard began eating & drinking from the fruits of a wild liriope to it's left.
    That made me feel even better! [​IMG]

I always make my wind fall piles as the year goes by, then bring in the fire bin & break the branches & sticks up into the right size to fit in the bin for burning.
    People say to me it is double handling & I should just set the pile on fire.
    Well here is the very reason not to do it that way!
    Frogs & lizards would not stand a chance when the whole pile was set alight.
    I even save those big native wood cockroaches that I find in the wood piles. I have so little top soil & they are invaluable for helping to build it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That was a lucky find!

Unfortunately, my chicken friendly dog isn't lizard friendly and that really annoys me!

I've tried to train him to ignore the wildlife just as we did with our poultry but he just can't help himself - I don't know what he thinks the difference is between birds and other animals...

Thankfully most get away up trees when the dog comes around but he has got the odd few in the past much to my disappointment.

One of the best things about living in the country areas is the wildlife encounters - I just love it.

3. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Excellent Lissa.

I don't have a dog or cat so my yard is a bit of a nature reserve for critters like this too. They scare the crap out of me sometimes when you're trimming trees at then you realize you're looking straight at a Bearded Dragon 20cm away from your face.

On a side note, Bearded Dragons lay eggs in patches of dirt, like in your veggie garden. If you ever dig some soft white eggs up about the size of Dove eggs you know what they are.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Stevo I have dug them up before too.
    Once I realised, I tried to set them some place safe but they apparently need to go back in the same orientation as they came out. That I couldn't reproduce so they probably died mores the pity.
    The thing is when you are forking in a rested garden bed, you can find all sorts of things that have set up home in the loose drier soil & green manure crop.
    By the time I actually see the eggs, the fork has turned them over.
    Unfortunate but seems a casualty of gardening like cutting 100's of worms in half.
    And no they don't grow back like the fairy tale tells you they will!

5. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've dug them up and tried to stick them back in place but haven't had success. I think if they're healthy they're full smooth egg shaped and if they're shriveled then they're cactus. I get quite a few in the garden.

Here's a baby one I posted in the gallery March 2014... gees eh!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Oooooo little Jacky lizard! So cute :thumbsup:

7. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    hrm, I thought it was a Bearded Dragon....I've never heard of Jacky Lizards before, I did a quick google and now I'm confused, I guess that's not hard :blush:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Stevo said:- I did a quick google and now I'm confused, I guess that's not hard :blush:

:hysterical: don't worry Stevo, they have pills for that! :sneaky:

Jacky lizards have a really slender long tail, those long back toes for running fast & up trees plus they have a roughly diamond shaped head with a thin neck.
    Bearded Dragons have a flatter head with rounded nose, thick neck & stubby toes.

:readit:

• Like Like x 1