Question Cooking oil

Troy

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am after some suggestions on how to deal with cooking oil after your finished with it. Ideas to reuse it around the garden or just recycle it would be ideal.

Universalpuzzle

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I found these suggestions....
Waste Cooking Oil Recycling Ideas & Uses
  • Soap. Once used vegetable oil is filtered and cleaned of solids, you can use it to make wonderful soap – a commodity we all have need of every day!
  • Emergency lamps. ...
  • Ant poison. ...
  • Animal feed. ...
  • Dust suppression. ...
  • Biofuels. ...
  • Diesel fuel.
upload_2020-2-21_16-31-10.png

https://www.rotorooter.com › drains

Universalpuzzle

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I also found these uses...

1. Household lubricant: Used cooking oil is an effective lubricant that can be used for many things around the house from squeaking hinges to troublesome locks. Used cooking oil also helps prevent rust on metal surfaces and objects such as tools.
  2. Key lock lubricant: If your key regularly sticks in the locks in your home, spreading some cooking oil on your key will prevent it from sticking.
  3. Lamp oil: If you have an oil lamp in your home, you can use your used cooking oil to fuel the lamp.
  4. Furniture polish and conditioner: If you have wood furniture in your home that looks dull or scratched, used cooking oil can be used to polish and restore the look of the wood. Make a mixture that is equal parts used cooking oil and vinegar and use it to polish your wood furniture.
  5. Leather preservative: Used cooking oil can also be used to soften and preserve your leather furniture.
  6. Rattan and wicker furniture protector: Rattan and wicker furniture is vulnerable to cracking. Rubbing some used cooking oil onto the surface of rattan and wicker furniture with a soft cloth will help keep it protected from cracks.
  7. Removing paint from your hands: Paint is one of the hardest things to wash off if it gets on your hands. You can remove paint from your hands easier with used oil. Rub some used oil on your hands and let it sit for 5 minutes, then wash your hands and the paint will come off.
  8. Soap making: Lye soaps can be made using used cooking oils. There are instructions available online as well as books about how to make lye soap if you are interested in soap making.
  9. Hair moisturizer: Used vegetable oil can by used to condition and moisturize your hair. Heat up half a cup of oil so it is about room temperature and massage it into your hair. Shampoo and rinse your hair to remove the oil.
  10. Pot and pan protector: Rubbing some used cooking oil on the surface of new pots and pans can help keep them protected. Wash your new pots and pans before you use them and rub some used oil on the surface.
  11. Non-stick gardening tools: Soil and grass can stick to gardening tools like shovels, trowels, and lawnmower blades. Coating these tools with used cooking oil will prevent grass and dirt from sticking to them.
  12. Car cleaner: Used cooking oil can be used to remove tough dirt and debris from any surface of your car including the brakes and the body. Put a little bit of cooking oil on a rag or paper towel and wipe the affected areas. Used cooking oil can effectively remove dirt, grime, pollen, bugs, and other gunk.
  13. Composting: If you have a compost pile, adding used vegetable oil to the pile can help. Adding small amounts of used vegetable oil will feed the worms that help with the composting process. Make sure you only use vegetable oil because animal-based oils will attract nuisance animals and cause pathogens to form.
  14. Animal feed: Used cooking oil can be used as animal feed in a number of different ways. You can drizzle some used oil on the food for your dog or cat which will improve the taste for them and keep their coats shiny. You can also mix some oil in with the bird seed in your bird feeder.
  15. Biodiesel fuel: Used cooking oil can be used to produce biodiesel fuel once it has been processed. There are kits available that can help you convert used cooking oil into biodiesel fuel, but this is best done by professionals who can process the oil for biodiesel production.
There are so many effective uses for used fryer oil, whether it is animal-based or vegetable oil, which makes it one of the most reusable products in your home. The one thing you should never do with used cooking oil is dispose of it by putting it in the trash or washing it down the drain. In home kitchens, you can make this adjustment very easily by saving your cooking oil in a jar and using it for these various alternative uses.

https://www.mahoneyes.com/blog/15-creative-uses-of-used-cooking-oil-you-never-knew/

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
What volume are you talking about and what was it used for, Troy?
I ask because it might be easier to not use it to begin with.
That way you don't have the worry of it in the first place.

Troy

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Sorry I should have added more info, I'm mainly talking about the small quantities left over after cooking a meal. For instance last I have about 1 L of sunflower oil left over from tempura from last night. I am thinking about small quantities up to 2L. I guess i'm was hoping to hear how other people deal with their cooking oils to avoid dumping it, things like :
Composting: If you have a compost pile, adding used vegetable oil to the pile can help.
or spraying it on plants to rid of pests, but I have also read that it blocks the pores of the plant...

I would like to try Bio-Diesel but I am not setup for a new project right now.

I will likely try to filter and reuse the sunflower oil for a while.

Universalpuzzle

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Personally I use it as dog food additive, and compost it.. I am not happy with any other solution

Shannon Robinson

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
We fried a turkey and had gallons of used oil. I strained it and used it in stir fry for the entire year. Oil from tempura should be reusable. If you use it too often it changes chemically...that’s bad, but if it didn’t burn you can use in cooking items where it gets consumed. Just label it as used once, strain it very well and store in cool dark place to extend its life. I might not use it for salads, but to sauté or stir fry it’s perfect.

Troy

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have always had dramas reusing it when it had fine particulates mixed through. I think google/Ebay was listening to my conversation with my wife and started advertising this 'oil can of sorts' which helps with that, needless to say I bought it and it has been pretty good. On occasion I have still filtered it through a coffee filter for that really fine particulates. I have been tending to use it once or twice then giving it to the compost or dogs which works great. Thanks for the tips with that.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Top Bottom