Question Companion Planting herbs

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Troy, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Troy

Troy Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I'm giving Companion planting a go at the moment and I am using an old "self watering pot.." I thought while building this "does anyone else seal the water overflow with fly screen to prevent mosquitoes?"
    in.jpg out.jpg final.jpg
    I would also love to see what successful companion pot combinations people have achieved, above I am attempting Climbing Spinach, Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's a good thought/question, Troy, I hadn't thought of that. I can't say that I have had those issues in my pots like that. All the best, Dan

3. Wanda

Wanda Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I use mosquito dunks or bits from Summit. They are natural and do not affect vegetables or fruits. You can order them from Amazon. My self watering planters have a curved opening and are very inviting to leopard frogs and toads.

Attached Files:

4. t4ms

t4ms Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    You can't fail with the bog-standard tomato/basil combo. Didn't stray far from that for several years :D.

Forgot to mention: watch out for the rosemary. I thought I'd be clever and planted some rosemary in the middle with some (I think) parsley around the border of a large pot. The parsley grew like a weed and shaded the poor rosemary that struggled. In the end I re-potted the rosemary on its own and it then grew like a weed. When it takes off rosemary can easily take up an entire pot.

5. Troy

Troy Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I will have to look into those mosquito dunks, they sound pretty good. Do they last or do you have to keep re-applying them?
    The Malabar is taking over at the moment, I had hoped that the oregano and thyme will act as a ground cover and the rosemary will have "free reign" over the ground cover. I just hope it does not shade the ground cover herbs too much.
    The Rosemary is actually a cutting from a much larger plant and is growing much slower than I expected it would. 20200306_114845.jpg

6. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The Malabar will go berserk!
    As for the well in your pot, you should let the plants use all the water before refilling.
    That way, and wriggles dry out before getting big enough to turn into mozzies.
    Plus it's the best way to keep the potting mix in good condition.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Wanda

Wanda Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    The mosquito dunks only last 30 days and have to be reapplied throughout the mosquito season.