Community Garden

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Kasalia, Nov 29, 2017.

1. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Gosh, starting to sound like a small business!! Interesting "retirement"...sounds like lots of hard work going on!

2. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Insurance alone needs paying for then there is a host of other things to keep the garden going. The fruit fly have discovered us, so nets is one thing. We apply for every grant going. We need bricks for a bench in the "pavilion" for our donated pizza oven bricks, and a place for our donated BBQ. Concrete for a floor. There is no power connected that would be a bonus lol. and a ride on lawnmower.
    Already had enquiries if we have any seedlings for sale.

3. Kasalia

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    20180415_074344.jpg Did a market stand and raised another $200.00 Was for Seniors week and all the entertainment were retired. Choirs, dancers, ukulele band, Big Big Boogie band. Not ina hurry to do another one too soon, lots of work.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  4. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I am soooooooooo impressed by how fast everything has come together and the amount fo cash and materials that have been donated. I am wondering about the volunteers. a good principle of any non-profit or profit group is a strategy for rewarding volunteers. some people dont need a reward and others really need a pat on the back. but, why cant volunteers take a share of the produce when they help out. for example, if someone is picking the greens why not a basket for tonight's supper or the kids' sandwiches tomorrow or a soup with kale and white beans? You could always provide the baskets so one person might get a lot of greens and another, one or two squash but that seems fair to me. You would obviously have a lot of people picking fruit. LOL as for the food forest, I recently watched a blog from Florida where the blogger helped his dad create a food forest in the middle of the backyard. it wasnt a 1/4 acre size. It was very impressive. the principle is to just let stuff grow, pick the produce when ready, trim the trees and pull up stuff when needed and you just throw 'stuff' into the bush. the maintenance isnt any different from what you would do in the other plots and frankly, a lot simpler. No fancy composting but as nature intended. I can send the blog if you like. it is a permaculture concept.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I also love the organizing around the market stand. I know from having worked in an organic market, that organizing for entertainment as well is a JOB. but, I'll bet it was fun!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kasalia

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thankyou @Bea. The volunteers so far are sharing the produce that is grown. We aren't producing enough yet to give it away. We only have 20 members so far and family or just spouse, and most retired. When open average turnup is 8

I decided against a food forest, after writing to several gardens with them. Beans climbing up trees need ladders, as do a normal size fruit trees. Weeding can also be awkward with novices who can not tell the difference. Then there is the visitors and wheelchairs who need pathways. Cant have them tripping over a wandering pumpkin and falling flat on a blueberry bush.

Being such an open garden, the structure so far is working. Keeping the grass down is a problem, I am now setting my sights on a ride on lawmower.

One day I hope to be able to sell seedlings at an annual fair due to the fact that 2 nurseys have closed down. Then whenever we are open. This will eliminate the need to go chasing money at markets, and applying for never ending grants, which tends to fall on myself , husband, and sister. Members seems busy on those days, although one donated plants this time for the market, which helped a lot.

This May makes it 1 year exactly that I took over with a flat block and 2 containers and a fenceline. It has been a lot of work to get it to this stage. Two new couples joined 2 weeks ago, and a chef and his son, the month before. Hopefully the hard work is beginning to pay, as members is what we need. Those who attend regularly are good workers, and once our pavillion is up I can step it up a notch with social and learning days.

Always interested in links to help, especially how other communities cope.

7. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Kasalia, your market day looks like Cooroy on market day!
    I guess all small towns that do market days would look similar.
    All small towns have the same funding needs & have similar organizations.

• Like Like x 1
  8. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Wow it's wonderful Think community gardens are a great idea. Well done.

• Like Like x 1