Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
stevo submitted a new showcase item:

Coffee Table Fireplace

It's a Coffee Table / BBQ / Fireplace / furniture / piece of art / area heater / foot warmer
I built this yesterday. Took about 4 hours. I had a pile of bricks and steel that needed a purpose.
I did some design work, laid some bricks out, figured it would be simple to keep it all square, but you could make it different shapes.

I had to do a first burn - burns the paint off and calculate the height of the optional bbq plate
The theory was to have the grill level with the bricks, but the food would get burnt, so that might need some...
Read more about this showcase item...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's a great time of year for a fire pit. Are the bricks stuck or are they held in place by the frame?

I love the last image with the beer and the snag grilling :cheer:I went to mates place to watch the footy last night (Aust V Lions) and we could have done with your design to warm us up a bit :twothumbsup: Excellent!

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The bricks are just held by the frame. It weighs a tonne, so if you want to move it you have to remove all the bricks first. Even the frame is very heavy by itself. I figure in winter it sits here, then when not needed i can put in a corner and put some plants on it, .. or throw it behind the shed. The first previous sausage was the test one, which went to the chickens, they thought it was pretty good.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah, it would be heavy but as you alluded it's not necessary to move it constantly and the brick design gives raident heat for longer than other types. Handy the bricks can simply be removed.
I bet the chickens loved the sausage... :)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I noticed the view count on the showcase increased for some reason, so I checked the fb page. yer the likes are probably just people flying past and not many look too much further in to it. ohwell ya get that. Some people aren't in to forums or may not be that "in to" the self sufficient scene? .... probably get a few lurkers though. I think people might like the little back yard projects like this, and your Quail cage and things like that.

I was going to make another table like this for my brother, but I might make some design changes so when I make it i'll stick it up here, could be a while though.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I can see why it's popular - I mean it does look very inviting a warm coffee table fire and a beer, it's a great photo too! You might have to patent it ;)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You might have to patent it ;)

Although I didn't copy anything I saw, I have seen steel tables with Shellite burners in the middle and got the idea from that. I saw before you mentioned "firepit" so I just googled firepit table and there's a whole range of them, so I guess it's not really a new concept... though mine is extra amateurish. I'm not sure if I could patent it? I think that's a whole can of worms right there!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Doubt that there's one made from spare bricks though... Maybe it can't be patented (I was being cheeky) but it will be copied for sure. I can see family and kids roasting marshmallows on this and dads all around knocking one up this weekend :)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Maybe it can't be patented (I was being cheeky) but it will be copied for sure. I can see family and kids roasting marshmallows on this and dads all around knocking one up this weekend :)

I did actually think about that, and thought it could be something you buy from Bunnings, people love that crap. Problem would be that you'd have to try package it in a flat pack, and then maybe have a big pack full of bricks? or say "you have to buy the bricks separate, please walk to the outdoor section and select your bricks/pavers" bwabhaha :cheers:... yeah i think it's best left for the home handyperson to knock up.. it's all part of the experience and fun to knock up some dodgy bbq.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I finally got around to cleaning it up today. This was the final stage of the build, i had to do the first burn to get the old paint off and look for improvements. Today I hit it with a wire brush/grinder, and then painted it with some "bot belly black" paint, it's currently doing a the second burn..

shackers.net_images_photos_bbqtable06072013.jpg

Top Bottom