Climate
Sub-Tropical
Standing up to eat her watermelon today
20180322_094837.jpg

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That is so good. I am smiling for you and her.

Margarita Castaneda

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi all,

Thanks for having me here. I have a motley crew of three domestic hens each around 3 years old. They have all been healthy and producing a lot of eggs. Eight days ago I noticed one hen did not run out for her afternoon scraps. I found her with a completely lame leg after seeimg fine earlier that day. I thought it might be an injury so, as advised on one blog, gave her a small amount of asprin. She perked up enough to fly out of the large box in which I isolated her. I returned her to the coop and tended to her in a low laying box. Overnight she got herself up to her preferred laying box but seems to be losing her strength slowly. There is no excessive heat to suggest infection. All three were vaccinated as chicks. She is still perky with lively eyes, normal looking comb, strong wings, a great appetite ~ just not mobile. Three days ago I gave all three chooks Avitrol Plus to be sure, even though there was no evidence of infestation/watery poo, etc (I normally just use garlic, ACV, DE). The other two hens are just fine. Since then I have noticed the sick hen has had watery poo but there has been no improvement in her health so far. I haven't noticed any dead worms. I am out of ideas and have exhausted the suggestions provided on another forum. I am very sad to see her uncomfortable. Can anyone offer further advice?

Thank you...
Indra

Margarita Castaneda

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Indra: I have a couple of questions for you. One, in their pens do you water pans on the direct ground? If so, chickens are notorious for scratching for worms. If they eat an infected worms. I forgot the name of the virus from these earth worms. But, it's fatal death for sure. Ask the forum or a vet. They can treat the hen within the first several hours with a strong antibiotic. Second, do you have a large rooster that is mounting the hens? It looks as though her right leg is traumatized. Buy antibiotic powder to put into the water. Use a small amount of water in their dish so they will drink it all. Next, warmth is the key if they are isolating. Check her vent, to see if she is egg bound. Good luck!

Indra

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi all, just letting you know Blackie is doing really well. She still sleeps in a laying box and has a slight limp, but everything else has returned to normal. Incredibly she has returned to normal egg production and even laid a double yolker yesterday. I have rearranged the layout in their shed so the girls have a clearer path in their descent from the roost.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Indra. In part this is great news.
But the double yolker is not good news.
She could be developing an obstruction high up in the oviduct.
Just watch her for slight changes to the way she lays her egg & the shape of the egg.
If you can manage to be there a few mornings you will soon see whether she is having trouble or not whilst laying.
I imagine she still sits down a fair bit during the day to rest her leg.
However that is also the sign of high up obstruction in the oviduct.
A hot leg is also a sign.
I hope all your lovely chooks will approve of the new household design & arrangements! :D

Indra

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you. She has been back to two eggs out of three days for around two weeks now, no sign of strain or obstruction. Eggs are perfectly shaped and we were getting the occasional double yolker from her previously. She is up and about all day with the other girls and even runs for her feed.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Wonderful news, Indra.
I always get concerned when hens begin laying doubles as it is often not the festive event sign we would like it to be.

Top Bottom