Chez Omelette (chook trailer)

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Becca, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Becca

Becca Well-Known Member Premium Member

My little online coop and run was not going to be enough for my poor chicken math skills...
    Here's my formula so far:
    3-1+1+1+2-1+1-1+2...... So 7....
    Oi.... Hehehe

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Becca

Sooooo after countless ideas, searching and plans we got as far as knowing that I loved the idea of a ute canopy as the roof to the coop, and I wanted an integrated run, because during winter I am not home during daylight to let the girls free range the whole yard. So, we had a ute canopy sitting in the backyard....

This is going to be pretty long winded... I love a good suspense story ;)

My husband is building an altered drag racing car (don't ask me more than that... Haha) so he had modified a shopping trolley trailer to fit the race car on.
    Then found a deal too good to pass up, on a fully enclosed trailer we could sleep in so no more carting around the camper trailer and an extra car! Whoohooo
    So, after he couldn't sell the trolley trailer I was thinking, how the heck can I get rid of this bloody thing!? We have enough darn toys as it is! light bulb moment! We could use it for my coop/run! Ding ding ding!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Excellent. Goes to show you can put just about anything to good use with a good idea!
    Great coup set up.

4. Becca

Then there was the little issue of, what the heck are we going to do to make supporting walls.... Being a rather impatient soul... I basically completely disassembled the tiny coop, and used all the panels from that to make sides. The hubby whacked up some roof supports and ran some hardware cloth over the top... Didn't even have to make a new door! Bonus!
    Used the actual coop part of the original as a corner, and the girls now use that as the nest box... Sweet!
    The semi enclosed coop part under the ute canopy has walls made of all sorts of random junk... We pulled apart an old wardrobe for the back wall, some mini corrugated iron scraps for the side walls and bits of ply to plug gaps. All the window areas are able to be opened when summer hits and we need more breezes through there.
    I absolutely LOVE it! And it's still on wheels, so in theory, we can move it anywhere we want...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Well Written! Well Written! x 1
  5. Becca

A couple more pics

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    heh, very entertaining Becca :cheers:

It does look good. Love all the photos!

7. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    What a brilliant example of reusing/recycling for self-sufficiency :twothumbsup:

Bec (and hubby) you are clever people I just love this chook tractor coop! Those images are fabulous and I bet the hens love their home.

That tyre with the sand is it for dust bathing?

8. Becca

Thanks Stevo!
    And thanks Mark! The girls are pretty happy!
    The tyre was their old dust bath from when they were pullets. Only my frizzle silver Sussex still fits in there now... It's more decoration than anything... And a place to roost. They have a much larger crate in the coop for dust bathing. But they prefer the moon craters they have dug up the back under our Gum tree. That's the first stop when they are let out! Just in case Mum or Dad have moved anything on them! They hate that! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hey those pvc diy feeders look pretty cool but how do they go for feed spillage? I've got two commercial pvc feeders and both are terrible with the feed being raked out however your design is different with the feed bay facing upwards so it might work better this way...

10. Becca

ohhhh, the girls still manage to scrape out feed. I think if I was really bothered, I'd make the angle a little more acute... I think that would fix the problem pretty well. But, they scratch through the stuff they pick out when they're bored... So it kind of entertains them when I'm at work!

11. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Lol naughty girls them hens are... :D

• Like Like x 1