Cheese for chookies

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well it all started because I left the milk out of the fridge overnight.
It may have been a Freudian slip because the last 500ml of a 3lt bottle was on the turn anyway but I had decided to use it the following morning to make custard.
So I put the bottle out on the verandah railing in the sun for 3 days. It probably should have been left there at least another day to really set well.

Knowing that it needed to drain overnight I used a 20cm plastic bowl with a piece of chux to use as the cheese cloth.
I poured the half set milk into the cloth, grabbed the corners together, tied it with string & hung it from one of the hoops that form the frost protection system over the garden bed. I left the bowl under it to catch the drips which I would put in the compost.
Next morning it was set & there was a piece of soft cheese about fist sized. I didn't taste it! yuk!
Cluckles absolutely loved it!

cheese for chooks.jpg cheese for chooks 2.jpg cheese for chooks 3.jpg

To clean the chux for next time I first scraped the bits off the chux with the back of the chook/garden knife then used the hot water in the garden hose which lays in the sun. I draped the chux over the upturned bowl & hosed it with full pressure of the nozzle. Clean as with no smell & no need for detergent so the water could go into the garden bed!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've heard of people processing extra or old cheese turning it into feed pellets for the chooks but I haven't came across a person who makes cheese from off milk specifically for their flock.

I think it's not only a way to save waste but fermented food like this is good for the birds - at least that's my opinion anyway and why I sometimes feed our flock fermented grains.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Sometimes when I haven't used the grated cheese in time & it has started getting mouldy bits in it, I throw that out for the chooks too.
They go ape sh!t for it! It's a great treat for them.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Sometimes when I haven't used the grated cheese in time & it has started getting mouldy bits in it, I throw that out for the chooks too.
I do the same, yeah they love it alright :D

Top Bottom