Chat about keeping quail on radio

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    A video podcast of a chat I had with Rob Blackmore on Sunshine Coast Radio 90.3FM

• Like Like x 2
  2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Very good Mark. You give plenty of info for people.

Do you get any feedback from listeners, or do you know how popular the program is? I guess it'd be hard to tell, maybe the only feedback you get is if you're asked back.

3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Stevo, I have no idea on the ratings or how popular our segment is but I do hope people aren't switching off!

Rob does seem happy with how it's going but he doesn't give specifics and I don't think I could be that fwd to ask him directly... imagine how embarrassing it would be if he said, actually Mark our listeners drop as soon as you come on :blush::p

I do know that hits on my blog website goes up by about 40% on the Monday, which equates to 200 - 300 extra visits (confirmed real visitors) and possibly a few thousand extra page hits. This definitely helps a blogger like myself.

The sunshine coast demographics leans towards retirees so it was Robs idea to emphasise my military service, which I was reluctant to do, but older people tend to be more welcoming of vets and gardening/self-sufficiency in general.

When he (his producer) asked me in January to do the show/segment he was pretty confident their listeners would like the content and I guess since the Station keeps asking me back it's a good sign so far.

We have no agreement or anything I'm just happy to go on air as long as they want me I enjoy the chat it's fun and scary at the same time being live.

4. Nemesis034

Nemesis034 Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Mark it is really good information.
    Keep up the good work.

Where do you get your quail from? Do you have a supplier in the area or do you use gumtree, etc?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I breed my own but when I need to get some new blood into my stock I do tend to use Gumtree yes to buy fertile eggs.

If you are interested in the last seller/breeder I purchased eggs from on Gumtree let me know and I'll try to dig up the details because the eggs I got were very good quality and a nice mix of breeds.

6. Nemesis034

Nemesis034 Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Mark

Thank you for the prompt reply.
    Yes I am interested.

Not sure how to send a personal message.

But please send me the details, it would be much appreciated.

7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Unfortunately, I can't find the email from the guy I purchased the eggs from in March 2015 :( Sorry about that...

But there are a few selling eggs on Gumtree that look ok here's the link to the Gumtree search page. The price for a dozen eggs range from about $8 to $16, which is more cost effective than buying them as chicks/adults for $5 each or even more.

Keep in mind being winter egg supply will be down because unless the sellers/breeders are using artificial lighting quail will be off the lay until about mid-september in our part of the world.