Chainsaw carpentry

Scott Mac

Premium Member
Hi all,

Here's the TV cabinet I told you I was going to make. I used an Alaskan chainsaw mill to cut the top. bottom and back flat. plunge cut the whole with a chainsaw all the way through starting with a 20" bar and finished with the 42" bar from the mill. docked the end free hand with the 42" bar.

Cleaned the cuts with first plane, then random orbitor sander. tongue oil and that's it. moved into house with out a machine, just using old school methods to do thing without the need of machine. very heavy, and would recommend a concrete floor for carrying the weight.
IMG_1264 (480x640).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1266 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_1266 (480x640).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:

Scott Mac

Premium Member
It's called Woolibutt, similar looking to blue gum. The barks off, only the sap wood left on. Weighs a tonne. I'm milling heaps more to build a shed and all off my own place. As long as its inside, away from bugs etc, the sap wood should stay put

Scott Mac

Premium Member
thanks guys, another simple thing for chainsaws is docking 250mm long rounds and replacing those flimsy kids chairs with them. Kids cant destroy them. Chairs became fire wood and the fire wood became chairs.
IMG_1302 (480x640).jpg
IMG_1303 (480x640).jpg
IMG_1304 (480x640).jpg

Raymondo

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great to see someone using timber from their own property , reminds me of my old herb farm back in the 70s just bush and some clearings when we arrived , road blocked by an enormous blackbutt ,felled previously by last owner, so we painstakingly cut this up and transported via a 1927 Chevy truck my neighbour had to local mill ( no rego totally illegal oops but only round the corner ) .Here it was cut up and provided ALL the framing for my 2 story house ( yes it was a big tree ) other support beam step treads outdoor tables were carved out with a chainsaw to give a very rustic but functional (and cheap ) dwelling . Sorry I don't have photos . We lived off grid , no choice , 12,and 24 volt powered by wind and solar , a 1200 watt inverter ( for the washing machine and a little tv ) and life was GOOD . Happy days ! Cheers Ray

Top Bottom