Cauliflower and Broccoli issues

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Guys hope someone can help me with some issues i am having with some of my vegies
1 in 3 of my Cauliflowers turned out as per the picture slightly yellow and sad looking and some of the broccoli had marks on it like as per the attached picture.

appreciate any help

Attachments

• broccoli.jpg
    broccoli.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 211
  • cauliflower.jpg
    cauliflower.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 252

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Rick,
apparently this is not an unusual problem ... per food tank
" As cauliflower matures in the field, the sun naturally alters the color of the head. If it is exposed too long to the sun, the curds turn a dull yellow. This doesn't affect the taste of the vegetable — in fact, it likely produces more phytonutrients — but it does affect our desire to buy it "

If you really care to keep heads white you can
1 Pull the leaves up over the head of cauliflower when the head measures about 3 inches across. Spread them so that the entire head is covered and fasten them together over the center of the head with a rubber band or long twist tie. The head grows quickly at this point, so fasten the leaves loosely to allow growing room.
2 Check the head daily. When it is completely white the head is ready to harvest. You can leave the head on the plant a few extra days, but harvest it while the curds are small and tight. Once the buds begin to spread out the head is past its prime.
3 Cut the heads, leaving 1- to 2-inches of stem underneath and a ruffle of leaves around the sides to extend the storage period.

Things Needed

• Rubber band or long twist tie
Tips
  • An alternative method of blanching cauliflower is to pull the leaves all the way across the head and tuck them in under the opposite side. Some people feel that this method allows better air circulation around the head and helps prevent mold.
  • Cauliflower varieties labeled “self-blanching” have leaves that curl up over the tops of the head naturally. These varieties don’t require tying.
All this from checking the google machine :yahoo:

P J, the Dirt Diva

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi PJ thanks for following this up for me and for the tips Thought maybe the Cauliflower may have had a bug or something but if it still tastes the same then great.

Do you or does anyone else know much about the Broccoli as it has what look likes deformed growth or something on the head. Or is it i am just to use to supermarket food LOL

Rick

Attachments

• broccoli.jpg
    broccoli.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 195
Top Bottom