Budgerigars near Pomona!

Discussion in 'Chin Wag' started by ClissAT, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I know its dry, but............I had no idea it is this dry all across Queensland!

Late yesterday arvo just on dusk I heard this growing cheeping noise from the sky sounding like a 1000 baby chicks flying over. But they didn't seem to be going anywhere.
    I ran to get my binoculars but it was just dark enough that I could only see their dark underside against the slightly paler sky.

I listened to this cheeping for a couple minutes, running through all the birds I knew that were small, had short wings, chirped continuously as they flew, might be migrating past this area at this time of year. Nothing came to mind.

But I knew I had heard this bird before. Slowly it dawned on me this had to be a flock of about 500 budgerigars trying to find somewhere to roost for the night. They flew round & round the top of my ridge, down into the valley towards a large gun tree then back into the sky all going every which way.

Then they finally decided on a tree, settled & all sound stopped instantly! They had cut it very fine to find a roosting tree by dark hundred! I think they may have been a little lost & certainly well out of their comfort zone here near the coast.

I just wish they had come by a little earlier so I could take a photo & follow them to their roosting tree.
    They would have been gone by first light this morning. I hope they found safe water & something to eat. The land holders around here are not the bird food friendly types. They slash their paddocks to stop grass growing & seeding.

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well I hardly told anyone for fear of being thought an idiot regarding my sighting of the budgies.
    But 2days ago I had the pleasure of describing my sighting to a local bird enthusiast & he confirmed that indeed I was not dreamin'!
    There is now a sizable flock that has taken up residence in the area west & south west of Gympie.
    Considering how far they tend to fly in a day of foraging, it's no wonder their range obviously now extends as far south as my place.
    My hope is they don't turn into just another form of the destructive parrots that already call my garden home.

3. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Wow that would have been a site to see. We saw heaps of buggies on the Birdsville track near a creek. Was a lovely site in a dry area, we spent ages taking photos of them.

4. Robyn67

Robyn67 Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    We have budgies at our place - unfortunately mainly in the chicken coop, eating all the chicken food. It's so nice to see wild budgies and all there colours.