Question Brody hen

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Bamboochicken, May 31, 2018.

1. Bamboochicken

Bamboochicken Member Premium Member

Hello everyone I have a chicken that is sitting on a nest but won't lay any eggs the cockerel has mated with her I wondered if I should buy her fertilize eggs?

2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Do you want her to sit on eggs? If you do then yes it could be good to buy some fertile eggs, I know many people do that. If you don’t they can be a pain and take a bit to break them off it.

When I had one that went broody, once I knew any other chickens had payed their eggs I would put the broody hen out of the nesting box and close it up for the rest of the day.

If you have another area you could move here into it as well.

3. Bamboochicken

Yes I do want her to sit on eggs she isn't in a nesting box she is in a bush in the garden.

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think before you buy fertilized eggs for your hen that is sitting in a bush, you should sort out the dog killing chook problem.

5. Bamboochicken

I think the only reason he killed spekal was because she was so small the broody hen (named snow ball) pecks the dog so I think the chicks will be alright