Broccolli plants wilting

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Pauljm, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Pauljm

Pauljm Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi all,
    I have some broccoli plants in a new garden bed that was filled with garden soil from the landscape supplies and some compost and fertiliser mixed in. Can anyone confirm if this is fusarium wilt and is there anything I can do about it??? The plants in the first image under the mesh are in a different bed, are more mature and aren’t showing signs of it yet. Thanks for any help....Paul ...just realised the affected plants are cauliflower the others are broccoli....
    DB18E967-8249-4CE9-9183-61C56782C34C.jpeg A19BB12D-3B27-4B73-9512-27FC0D20CCB1.jpeg BA55D285-E9E4-451F-8737-CD20C3B8A126.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Are they wilted at night/first thing in the morning as well?

3. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I have never had it so I can't tell.

4. Pauljm

Pauljm Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    No mate they seem to recover when sun goes off them. Soil is moist. I posted the question when I noticed a couple of the leaves turning yellow and that is what google came up with... unsure if it is just the leaf dying after being partly eaten by something?

5. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    If the plants are still firm in the ground when pulled lightly it is not fusarium.
    This fungal infection weakens the roots allowing the plant to be pulled easily from the soil.
    Your plants look firm in the ground & the young leaves are still standing upright.
    Its more likely to be a mineral deficiency.
    For example- Calcium aids in the uptake & transport of water through the stem column to the leaves.
    Do a soil pH test first. That will show which minerals you need to worry about.
    Bought in soil is notorious for being badly imbalanced. Adding compost, etc doesn't necessarily fix the problem.
    Brassicas need a very alkaline soil to do well.
    Also fast growing brassicas need a lot of water & will wilt as their expiration rates sky rocket when the sun hits their leaves.
    They may simply need more early morning watering.