Broccoli

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Sasha Bushell, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Sasha Bushell

Sasha Bushell Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical

Attached Files:

2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Up our way Sasha it's too hot now. Broccoli is a winter crop in SEQ. Recently learnt that if lettuce doesn't get enough water it can encourage it to Bolt early. I don't know if that is the same with broccoli. Either way it's too hot for it now.

3. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    I love broccoli, so I grow it a lot. I have found it needs lots of water and lots of horse poo (my go to for all veggies). You just have to pick it as soon as it even looks like the flower buds are going to open, whether you want to eat broccoli that night or not. If you keep picking it keeps putting out new heads. They get smaller and smaller (broccolini) until they are so small I can't be bothered with them. I don't think bolting to seed has that much to do with the temp because a friend of mine who lives in Mt Barker SA (the coldest place in the universe) never manages to grow a broccoli head bigger than a pimple, she keeps waiting for them to "grow bigger" so they just open into yellow flowers and then the plant says that's it I have done my thing for the next generation I'm out of here.

Tip- Broccoli freezes really well. Any heads that I am not going to use straight away I steam and then place on trays to freeze. When frozen take them off the trays and pack in freeze bags. Keep adding more as it comes along. Great for adding to soups, stews etc

• Like Like x 1
  4. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yup, I think you've missed the boat there...them's flowers already coming on!!
    I'd agree that lack of water seems to encourage lettuce to bolt early...my cos lettuce were doing beautifully...then we went away for the weekend which happened to be quite hot/dry...now this week,they've grow exponentially taller, and the heads haven't kicked on at all. Think I probably missed the boat on that one!

5. Skippyherron

Skippyherron Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You could just eat it - but it might be a bit on the bitter side. The flowers are also edible if you wanted to toss them in a salad.
    They usually take a full 3 months (for me) till i can harvest some and i try to plant them end of May if possible normally. (I'm in Brissy)

6. Sasha Bushell

Sasha Bushell Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks, ill take your advice and water them well and some poo all up in its business, luckily only 2-3 out of the 10 i have are actually forming heads, so i still have time :)

Its funny what you say about freezing brocolli i do the exact same thing. I ended up buying broccoli in season for 20cents a kilo, so i got 4 massive heads and froze about 1/2 and then made brocolli soup and broccoli salad (my favourite) with the rest. Its amazing how much people dont know about basic savy tips like freezing and how to store produce.

At least we know we should be able to survive the zombie apocalypse.. hahaha

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1