Broccoli and Brussell Sprouts

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I took a cutting from a Broccoli and a Brussel Sprout I purchased at Grocery store. Low and behold I now have a Bussel Sprout plant and a Broccoli plant with fruit on. 20180513_141721.jpg 20180513_141713.jpg

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I planted half of Cauliflower seedlings out in the raised beds. There is a self sown tomatoe, some beans that just keep flowering and strawberry runners in the bed too. 20180513_141807.jpg

I have four more Cauliflower seedlings in the shade house which I will plant later.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Well done, Lois. That's self sufficiency right there.
My cauliflower and broccoli seedlings are pretty much the same as yours AndrewB. Cabbages are doing better.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Lois, please elaborate on how you took your cuttings from those plants.
Or was it from the fruit/flower?
I would be most interested to know how you did it.

Janine

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Any cutting I have taken from commercial products grow really well but do not fruit... Expensive/cheap experimental .. Definitely would love to seed the grown fruit being harvested!!

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I just cut the stem bit off, after using all the broccoli florets or cut the Brussel sprout close to the end of the sprout. Usually it has dried a bit on the bottom.
Plant in the shadehouse in seed raising mix. Or plant into garden adding some mulch and watering in.

I just did this with a celery which still had about an 1" and a half of stalks. I had left it a couple of days in the crisper in fridge and some leaves started growing in the centre. So into the garden with a tree guard around it and see what happens. 3 days on the leaves are still growing.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Oh that's great Lois...like everyone else I was unaware the brassicas would do this. I'd guess you'll get thos finer broccolini like heads, but hey - they're tasty and free!!
The celery should continue to go OK, as should leeks, spring onions etc. I'm a big fan on growing kitchen scraps!!

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Wow Lois that's ingenious!
I eat that stem, I cant resist the lovely crunch & exercise for my jaw & teeth.
But when I grow a plant I never pull it out until it dies naturally.
It will live another year after the main floweret is cut off.
All during that time it is sprouting new flowerets like broccolini by the dozens plus young edible leaves.
Then when there are too many & too small flowerets or some get insects living in them I let them flower & go to seed.
At flowering they take on a whole new life as insect & bee food.
A whole year has passed so I plant a few new plants.

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks ClissAt, It is just fun playing especially when seeds don't come up. How is your garden going?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My garden is in a state of 'on hold' !
My container garden I made on the old outdoor chairs is producing a bit of this & that, but the bathtub beds in the main garden which I planted to several things has not been very successful.
I am waiting for the agronomist to get here (in his own good time:dunno:) to help me get a dam water treatment system going now that the new water tests returned workable info.
I have put in the tanks & pumps & done various 'jar tests' but need professional input now for the specifics & technical stuff.
I grow a few things that will live off the bit of rain or on the grey water I make in the house.
Also I am only growing what the bush rats, birds, etc wont eat or I can successfully net to keep them out.
This arvo I discovered my netting was not good enough & the bush rats had got all the new cucumbers, beans, tomatoes & remaining peanuts.
I know its winter & they have to store up for the hard times but could they please go elsewhere on my property where I have provided them with a generous abundance of their type of food? :mad::dunno::fighthey:

Last edited:

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
At the moment I only have to deal with mice. We have a plague.

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So far the cats and dogs are doing a fair job. Only places I notice them are inside house, on verandah groun level and running around the garden itself. I haven't lost any seedlings to them yet.

Top Bottom