Question Breeding Black Soldier Fly Larvae

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Perry, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day,
    I have looked on the site for information on Making a BSF Larvae Breeding Trap. I have seen some Do it your self traps on You Tube. I would like to make an Sealed Trap that will produce the Larvae successfully. I was thinking of a box type with a lid about 3 ' x 3 '. Apparently these Larvae are great food for Chooks.
    If anybody has made one like I would like to make I would like to receive information and maybe a photo or plan.
    Cheers Perry

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Perry, I have never made one but I have inadvertently bred BSF when my compost got too wet!
    Maybe try that I see what happens. It doesn't seem to take very long for them to appear.
    Considering the size of the larvae, you would think the fly itself would be huge.

3. Perry

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
  4. Mataeka

Mataeka Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I also have them - I have old plastic tubs that used to have radiator fluid (mechanic hubby) and just chucked composty type things in it - suddenly I had larvae. I initially drowned a whole bunch of them thinking they were maggots or something of the like :( But when another bunch appeared I googled what they were and realised how bad my mistake was. Once you've got them the smell they produce (not a strong odour - but something the flies obviously smell) attracts more flies to lay their eggs so they stay pretty well in place. I read they need a large area to fly and reproduce so you'd need a large area if you wanted it to be totally self contained.

5. Perry

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day Mataeka,
    I have made a trap and have put rotten meat, dog poo, rockmelon but so far nothing. I have two worm farms and 4 garden compost bins. I place the trap near them in full sun. I went to the Recycling and managed to get the material for a large enclosed trap.
    I have asked my friends if they have heard of them, most of them haven't. A Bird Breeder seems very interest and when I am up and running he wants to copy the set up.
    Cheers Perry

6. Mataeka

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah I'd actually be keen on selling them as a little side hustle for chooks or from what I've found lizards/fish etc. But ive zero idea of how to source out customers for that o_O

Heat and damp seem to be two things they thrive on. The more rotten it smells the more it'll attract them initially apparently - although I've gotta say I never allowed my heap to smell too much since its on a balcony and I didn't want the neighbours intervening...

7. Perry

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day Mataeka,
    Thank you for your reply. Still nothing in my trap. Hopping soon. Gum tree is the way to go if you have something to sell. CHEAP. Food for Chickens, Quails, Lizards & Fish. That will bring an interest. If you put FREE They will come banging on your door.
    Cheers Perry

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mataeka

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ahh there's an idea Perry - Might look into that! Thanks