Break in the seatson. I hope

Discussion in 'Chin Wag' started by Flatland, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    We have had 35 mm so far today. So I am hoping this is the start of the autumn rains. if it is it means we have gotten through summer without having to buy any hay. The summer we have had as been very strange. First we had a very late start to the winter rains. It was July before we got any rain but then it didn't stop. It basically rained all the way through summer so that we ended up with a record wet year.
    So what will this year bring? Who knows. Snails certainly. I am baiting early. Don't like having to use poison but also don't like a million white snails & everything I have read says the way to deal with them is to bait early so that they don't get a chance to breed. I am using the type of bait that uses iron. Some sources say it is harmless to everything except snails other sources say that isn't so. But as my soil tests say my soil is deficient in iron I am hoping it is not as bad as the normal snail bait.

2. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I always thought the snail baits are pretty harmless. The pests are so hard to get rid of I wonder what effective alternatives there are to the bait. Well hope the effort pays off for you.

3. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Lot of the farmers around here burn paddocks as a way of killing snails. It works but it is not something that I could do. Burning does have the advantage that there is no poison left for grazing animals (or any other animals) to pick up