Boys Toys

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
My little boat. Aluminium home-made-1972. It has a Seagull outboard and an 86lb electric. My 80w solar panel mounts on the roof. Just boat-coded and registered. A work in progress. I need to make a bowsprit to stop the waves splashing up at the front. It cost me $50. I painted it and made the roof bows out of scrap.
camera 199.jpg

This is the solar panel. I have mounted another controller on it so I can easily change it from 12 to 24 volt(for the outboard and my trike)
camera 251.jpg

My wind generator- a treadmill dc motor, ceiling fan blades.
camera 224.jpg

My sinewave inverter and wind diversion controller mounted with volt and amp guages. It dumps excess power into a 600w load-dump. Solar controller is hooked direct to batteries underneath. The dust is from Tibooburra.
camera 225.jpg

The old 14ft van. $400. Gas HWS lives under the bed when travelling. Vast satellite TV and air cooler with a float valve to hook up direct to water supply. 8 ply tyres. Axle mounted under springs for extra ground clearance.
camera 226.jpg

Metal detectors under the bed- I actually got rid of a couple! Also have a home-made dry-blower that doubles as a shaker-box, and other assorted gold prospecting parephenalia.
camera 252.jpg

Bed lifts up. There's the excess power load dump on the left.
camera 253.jpg

My electric trike-24v, 350w.
camera 235.jpg

A work in progress. The crank is free-wheeling, but now I 'm waiting for a free-wheeling sprocket for the motor. It hooks along,(6 gears) but you can't pedal or the chain goes loose on the motor, that's why I need the free-wheel sprocket for the motor.
camera 236.jpg

The brackets are from the hardware shop. Off the shelf except centre holes and rear idler bracket(welded on). Front idler is a petrol bike part, off the shelf.
camera 237.jpg

Battery box is out of my electric scooter, converted from 48-24 volts It holds 4x 12-15 Ah sealed batteries. It goes in the basket of the trike, and also supplies the 86lb outboard on the boat.
camera 250.jpg

Repco tag-along trailer. Solar panel mounts on top. Dogs go in the front- it has 2 clips to stop them jumping out.
camera 249.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Did the boat really only cost you $50!?

And, the van $400 - is it towable/roadworthy? I mean, it looks in great nic!

That DIY electric trike is awesome make sure you make an update post when you are finished working on it! Electric bikes are coming down in price but they are still out of my reach http://www.reefbikes.com.au/ my favourite one is this one here called Predator :) I bet yours won't cost nearly as much...

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Yeah the boat I had to make a new keel, and made up the side-fins and fitted a transom. The van's a bit rough and leaks a bit of water, but NSW regoed and roadworthy (also has brakes). I lived in it at Milparinka for nearly 2 years.
Those e-bikes are way over-priced. The hub/wheel/controller kits are less than $400 from the manufacturer. Lead-acid batteries are still your best option for power as lithiums have a very limited draw-down. 2x 15 ah sealed lead acids for $85 delivered on fleabay. My motor cost me $110, the controller $18, both new, off fleabay. Throttle was $8. Free wheeling crank was $50 and the motor sprocket that's coming was $6.
Y-electric bikes on fleabay started out at $318- now the dirty rogue importers are asking $550!!!!
Neither the predator nor Y-bikes have gearing to the motor either.
To be road legal in SA they must be 200w or less. I was looking at options to achieve this. Controllers only go down to 25ow, but there are other circuit boards that would do the job, less than $20. I was just in the process of picking one, when I realised all I need to do is put a trimpot (variable potentiometer) in the (5v) throttle circuit and adjust it to a 200w multimeter readout at the motor- simple and legal and measureable so therefore proveable (to the cops) if I get quizzed.
You can get a trike on ebay for $249 plus delivery. The ad says $2249, but it's a misprint. I got a layback seat stem for mine to get more distance between the seat and handlebars.

Last edited:

Jenni

Premium Member
Tim you are absolutely amazing, all the things that you can do. Blows me away.

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
The Bush Mechanics and the CSIRO are my heroes. Not politicians and greedy capitalists, who in my opinion are the scurge of this earth. Australia has become a far worse place for the poor and marginalised (like myself) through the parasitic conniving of administrative scum. I can not rely on government or law to protect or serve me, only to penalise and incarcerate me. Therefore I shun them. We do not need centralised politics or money grubbing laws in this world. We do not need stupid nannyist laws "for our own good". A lie used to fill the coffers of the rich and bring country folk to their knees. This litigeous and nannyist administration encourages urban sprawl and the decimation of the regional proud society.
If you flog a timid dog for long enough, it will eventually bite you.

Top Bottom