Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Here's a video I knocked up on growing peanuts and then how to cook them up for a great snack! :)

To be honest my harvest wasn't the best but I ended up with about a kg of organic boiled peanuts, which is a nice family TV snack in front of the football (healthier than potato chips) ;)

Farmed peanuts are often hit with a selective herbicide to stop the weeds growing through the crop.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Excellent, Mark. With a little skill they're no more painful to open than pistachios (and I love those too). So this video might just inspire me to give it a go.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Good one Mark, is a pain to crack open each on though :) Mmmm might keep the grandkids occupied for a while though. Does the shell of the peanut protect the actually peanut from the herbicide?
In theory the selective herbicides farmers use on food crops (like peanuts) are supposed to degrade and not remain on the fruit or nut; however, there's a growing concern that some herbicide residue remains on or is absorbed by the product. This is leading to speculation our consumption of food laced with small amounts of poison is leading to a slow build-up in our body of these chemicals and could be one of the causes of various cancers.

Recently, glyphosate has been linked to cancer and found in foods when it was thought since it's introduction it only had an environmental lifespan of about 5 days - obviously this is incorrect. Just Google glyphosate and cancer :)

Just another case for growing as much food yourself as possible...

bearded1

Premium Member
In theory the selective herbicides farmers use on food crops (like peanuts) are supposed to degrade and not remain on the fruit or nut; however, there's a growing concern that some herbicide residue remains on or is absorbed by the product. This is leading to speculation our consumption of food laced with small amounts of poison is leading to a slow build-up in our body of these chemicals and could be one of the causes of various cancers.

Recently, glyphosate has been linked to cancer and found in foods when it was thought since it's introduction it only had an environmental lifespan of about 5 days - obviously this is incorrect. Just Google glyphosate and cancer :)

Just another case for growing as much food yourself as possible...
Hi Mark,
There are two issues that are of concern with agricultural chemicals. The first is that the chemical itself can remain residual beyond the withholding period and be present in small amounts as you suggested, but also, when it does break down, the products that it break down into can be just as dangerous as the original chemical and they can hang on for a lot longer than the first chemical. There needs to be a lot of empirical, unbiased research done into this, but we all know that is not going to happen. As I always say, organic, organic, organic is the way to go for the safest option.
B1

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Chemicals in our food is probably one of my strongest reasons for growing our own food.

The problem with big agriculture is the pressure to provide large quantities of perfect produce for bargain prices and this means chemicals more often than not whereas in reality it's pretty easy to grow organic produce for small operations or the backyard.

JohnH

Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was just about to post a question on how to grow peanuts and this one popped up. Great video!

Top Bottom