Blueberry help

Keiran Roles

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey guys iam wondering what could be going on with this plant it still fruits and has flowers on atm and new growth .. is this normal? The spoting.....
Any help would be wonderful.. i love my bluberries ...

Attachments

• 20200214_083901.jpg
    20200214_083901.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 20200214_083915.jpg
    20200214_083915.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 277

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Good question.

I've got a couple of similar looking leaves on my new blueberry but put it down to "heat stress / burn" due to the super hot days we had posting potting it out. Other leaves are fine and new growth coming through too.

If other, I'd be pleased to hear too. Thanks

Greg W

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Keiran, blueberries need a pH of 4.5!! That's really acidic but that's what they like.
So if you've been using normal fertilizer and town water then your plants will struggle.
What variety do you have?

They like free draining soil but a continuous supply of moisture.
All blueberries originate from two family trees, the Southern and the Northern varieties.
Remember we are talking about USA and northern hemisphere so the Southern varieties tolerate heat whereas the Northern varieties tolerate cold and snow.
Living in Bundaberg Keiran, you should have been sold a Southern variety.
However sometimes the two families were crossed together so the Southern variety ends up with a few Northern traits including being deciduous.
In late summer the leaves turn red and all fall off!
People think their bushes are dying, then proceed to kill their bushes with kindness.

There are also tall and short varieties.

Blueberries originate from poor, peatish, marshy sandy conditions around the edges of swamps in partial shade.

Most of SEQld now has acidic rain of about 4.5-6 pH but I don't know if that extends up as far as Bundy yet. It's caused by the pollution.
I am lucky in being able to just water mine with natural rain water and I use Azalea fertilizer which is the most acidic fertilizer available. I also use Camelia potting mix 50/50 with coconut coir.

If your rain water, town water or bore water is alkaline, you can simply add a bit of vinegar or a few drops of hydrochloric acid (battery acid) or any other acid to lower the pH.

Water everyday irrespective of whether you think the soil needs it or not. They prefer a continuous supply of moisture flowing across their roots and hate any dry patches in the root systems. This is why the potting mix needs to be so well drained.

I use 6mth slow release Camelia and Azalea fertilizer but apply it every 3mths due to the amount of watering required which rinses the fertility out of the pot very quickly.

Keiran Roles

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ok it sounds like iam doing it mostly right .. knew they where acid loving plants it may be due for a feed ... i do have 2 in the one large pot... for the moment i was just going to grow more from their from cuttings..

Attachments

• 20200214_111003.jpg
    20200214_111003.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 215

Cheryl Smyth

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It
Hey guys iam wondering what could be going on with this plant it still fruits and has flowers on atm and new growth .. is this normal? The spoting.....
Any help would be wonderful.. i love my bluberries ...
Is very easy to burn blueberry bushes!
Avoid fertilizers containing nitrate nitrogen. You should wait at least one to two months before fertilizing newly set plants. Never apply near the base of the plant serious root damage and possible plant death that will occur. Soil PH should run 4.2 to 5.5.
I love my blueberry bushes, hope it works out for your plant. They love mulch!

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
BLUEBERRY KISSES
https://lakesideplants.com/product/blueberry-kisses/
Blueberry Kisses® is an Australian bred, evergreen blueberry variety. It is a naturally dwarfing and self-pollinating blueberry variety that is characterised by the extra-large fruit size. The fruit size and dwarfing has been achieved by traditional plant breeding methods developed over many years.

DESCRIPTION

Low Chill Blueberry Variety. Can be grown in both hot and colder climates in Australia. Plant with Blueberry Burst to increase your supply of blueberries thoughout the year! We have found that through our experience, and through talking with various clients who have grown blueberries, that they have more success in pots rather than in the ground. We ourselves have been growing the Blueberry Burst for a few years now in 30 lt pots and with our own , special blend of high quality potting mix. We get loads of fruit on our bushes. Perhaps due to the content of pine bark in these potting mix and your potting media pH is easier to control.

Blueberry Kisses® is an Australian bred, evergreen blueberry variety. It is a naturally dwarfing and self-pollinating blueberry variety that is characterised by the extra-large fruit size. The fruit size and dwarfing has been achieved by traditional plant breeding methods developed over many years. Please be aware that the growth habit of this variety is not quite as bushy and compact as Blueberry Burst. If all of our recommendations on the blueberry plant care page are followed, you can produce fruit up to three times larger than current blueberry varieties available to the home gardener. Harvest occurs over three to four months resulting in a constant supply of delicious, healthy, antioxidant rich fruit. Blueberries have actually been nick named brain berries and youth berries because of their high antioxidant levels.

Blueberry Kisses® is a low chill variety, flowering and fruiting over a four to six month period with an exceptionally high yield. It has been trialled and fruited successfully in both hot and cold climates across Australia.

When planted with our second variety, Blueberry Burst®, home gardeners will receive a constant supply of fresh tasty blueberries for around eight months of the year.

This added bit is from Daley's.

Botanical Name: Vaccinium hybrid
Description

Characterized by it enormous fruit size and naturally dwarfing habit, this self pollinating Blueberry is perfect for planting with the Blueberry Burst to extend the fruiting season. Low chill variety flowering and fruiting over a 4– 6 month period with exceptionally high yield. Trialed successfully in both hot and cold climates in Australia. Protected by Plant Breeders Right (PBR)
Developed by Plantnet
Just note that last sentence when thinking about making new cuttings!

The other thing I noted as I googled around was the huge difference in price from $23 for a 4inch pot to $49 for a 2lt pot plus postage.

Regarding the Tara Valley BerryLicious variety, I see they haven't included the actual variety name on the label unless it's on the back.
This is very naughty of that company! It probably means they are passing off substandard varieties at premium prices. Or they could be making their own non registered cuttings against the PBR.
It would be good to know which bush you are having trouble with.
It could be the Tara Valley bush!

Last edited:

Cheryl Smyth

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I want blueberry kisses bushes!
Thank you for your time and especially knowledge!
Hope you have a great day!
Cheryl

Top Bottom