Banana, Queensland

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ballentine, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Ballentine

Ballentine Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Everyone, Loving the website. My wife (Julie) and I (Myles) and three kids are main stream dryland broad acre farmers near a Banana in Queensland, having a vision of being low input biological food producers. Attached is a couple of photos of our 12 species cover crop that is currently growing. We have been trialling various cover crop methods over the past 5 years, including ultra high intensity grazing with cattle, full incorporation of cover with an off set disc, chemical termination and hopefully roller crimper in the near future. These have been of both summer and winter cover mixes. Other steps toward regeneration farming are running our farm electrical requirements house shed and stock water entirely on an solar hybrid system. Building a energy efficient home and now trying our hand at worm farming to use the juice as a pre planting seed dressing for our broad acre crops, primarily Chickpea and Mungbean.
    IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Dione

Dione Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Chemical termination? Round up?

3. Ballentine

Ballentine Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Gramoxone. Glysophate tends to have an effect on the fungal system that we are trying to enhance.

4. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Great images. Big scale production. Love seeing it. Thanks for sharing this and welcome here!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gavin Middleton

Gavin Middleton Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Welcome, and what an amazing, healthy looking cover crop you've got! :)

I look forward to hearing more about what you're doing near Banana (I love these Aussie place names!) in future. :cheers:

6. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome! Low input biological farming... great to see you giving it a red hot go.
    Near me is a company called Nutri-Tech Solutions at Yandina who make all manner of such inputs & soil improvers.

Those are great sized turnips your son is holding up in that field.
    Are they part of the cover crop or just volunteers?

I think people shudder at the use of any sort of chemical intervention for crop growing but I understand the time constraints when growing broad acre crops.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Wonderful!

Welcome Myles and Julie to SSC and thank you for joining us plus sharing some images of your property.

I'm in the process of making a "response video" to PragerU (an online information University) who published a video several months back on the "myths" of organic farming and produce. The actual video is called "Is organic food worth the cost?"

I guess their video does focus on the back-pocket but what it doesn't admit to are the benefits of organic farming on the environment or at least the benefits of trying to farm as organically as possible...

We need more pioneers like you guys who are trialling ways to better farm without expensive additives or overuse of chemicals to compensate for short term gains in production whilst the natural growing medium becomes depleted and the surrounding environment/eco-culture damaged.

Respect to you! Be sure to add more pics and tips from your own experience here on SSC whenever possible :)

8. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Some commentators & to a large extent our actual government are very short sighted regarding farming techniques.

Organic, biodynamic or minimal input farming methods can not be valued purely on the cost of the actual growing of the produce.

There are a myriad of down stream & knock-on costs that come along up to many years later. Some are very hard to see, requiring forensic investigation of company & gov't finances to discern.

They include but are not restricted to, the improved physical & mental health of those who eat that cleaner produce, the cost (or not) to the farming land & surrounding land that the produce is grown on, the wider (less) cost to the environment as a result of less manufacturing of chemicals in the various parts of the world.

This last one is a big issue particularly for Aussies because a great deal of our chemical inputs are made overseas which unfortunately relieves our books of this polluting burden.

Then there are secondary things like population, employment & educational benefits.

We need to realize these farming methods can be used anywhere so the benefits are not restricted to our country or western countries for that matter. But have worldwide benefits & implications.

In developing countries it can be as simple as less children because the parents are eating more healthily so have less illness therefore more income so are better able to educate their children.

And so it goes on.

• Agree Agree x 1