Banana Plant

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I’m very excited to have my first banana fruit growing. These are lady fingers that are growing in a pot. I’ll be putting some bags over them as we have flying foxes and possums here.

27ADFBAB-74DC-48CE-8E82-A3B697587F23.jpeg

B2344A73-A136-4DB6-8BF2-EDC375ADBECD.jpeg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Don't bag the bell until all the fruit has been pollinated by the insects.
You'll know its time because there will be a stem develop between the bell & the last row of fruit.
Then cut the remaining bell off & bag. Don't forget you can use the bell in Asian cooking.
Feed your tree with soluble potassium now for better fruit.
I use Yates in the little pink bottle & apply about half to 1lt to each fruiting tree.
I just use a 2lt hand held pump up bottle sprayer.
I can get enough pressure into it to get spray to the underside of most of the taller leaves.
Your trees are very healthy. No yellow bits on the leaves.:twothumbsup:
I see they seem to have access to the chook pen which will be why they are so healthy.
They are gross feeders.
I hope you get a nice big bunch.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks ClissAt, some great info. I’ve given it a good feed of chook pellets, compost and some granulated potash that I had on hand but I’ll get the liquid potash and have a sprayer.

It’s been fascinating watching the flower, change and fruit appear. It’s attracting blue faced honey eaters, we can see it all from our front window

They are no where near a chook pen, I’d given them some liquid fertiliser a month back. Since I can see all my fruit trees out my window I can keep an eye open for any issues.

They are bursting out of their pots with the suckers and all, so once it’s finished fruiting I’ll be planting the suckers out into the ground.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You can take suckers off any time. Just use a very sharp spade.

They are bursting out of their pots with the suckers and all, so once it’s finished fruiting I’ll be planting the suckers out into the ground.

Is this tree in a pot/container?!?! :shock: Amazing!
It was advised to me to leave the old trunk standing for the following 2 suckers to live off as they draw back the nutrients in the old trunk for up to a year.

But another use for that old trunk is to cut it down, cut into 2 shorter lengths if very long & lay it on the ground where you want to have a herb garden.
Cut holes along the 'log' with a very large hole saw (or use a sharp serrated steak knife) & plant herbs in a little potting mix. Keep moist until the herbs take root at which time they send their roots into the very moist fibres of the old trunk. The banana trunk cells hold water for months.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yep it’s in an 85lt pot with 3 suckers in there. But we think the roots have gone through into the ground. I have 2 plants/pots. Both healthy and doing well. This is why I haven’t pulled the suckers out as they are hard to dig out. So will just leave them be until they have finished fruiting, and then move the suckers and plant them into the ground.

All my fruit trees as in pots and doing well. I’ll be starting to move them into bigger 259lts root pouches soon. Will take pics when they are all done and share here.

That’s very fascinating with being able to grow herbs in the cut down trunks. You are a wealth of information and fascinating facts

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Wow, you both are a wealth of information and this is very encouraging. Well done and thanks for sharing this. A potted tree that big deserves special mention.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
When you bag I would recommend that you place some netting or mesh over the open end - we lost half a bunch recently because the possums or foxes found out how to get under the bag :(

Top Bottom