Banana Bread Recipe with home-grown bananas

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Mark, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here's a banana bread recipe that makes two standard sized loaves of bread/cake. Although, I didn't have two loaf molds the same so I made one big and one small...

On the weekend, my Uncle gave me about a dozen home-grown bananas grown on their suburban block in Brisbane - he's definitely the banana king in our family and has produced an incredible 26 or so bunches of bananas in the past 12 months!

Anyway, the bananas were beautiful but we couldn't eat them all and they became too overripe so rather than feed them to the chickens, I decided to make my first banana bread (or cake) ever and I'm happy to report it turned out great. The thing is, I don't have much baking experience but I do want to learn more about the art of baking cakes and breads etc so I thought this easy recipe would be a good start for me and thankfully all went well.

Banana Bread
    Ingredients (makes 2 x standard loaves)

Self raising flour - 3.5 cups *
    Plain flour - half a cup *
    Ground cinnamon - 2 teaspoons *
    Brown sugar - 280 grams *
    Milk - 1 cup
    Eggs - 4 (lightly whipped)
    Melted butter - 100 grams
    Bananas - 4 or 5 (over ripe and mashed with a fork)

Method

* Sift and mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and make a well in the centre.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined then pour the mix out evenly into two non-stick bread baking tins/silicon moulds.

Place into a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 45 minutes (mine took 50 minutes) but check after 40 by using a skewer stuck into the loaf and if it comes out clean and clear of any sticky dough then she's done.

When done remove them from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack.

After the loaves have cooled you can if you want top with any kind of icing (I just used standard icing sugar with a little vanilla essence and that tasted fine but a nice buttery or creamy topping would be better).

Serve plain or spread a little butter on a thick slice and enjoy!

banana bread cake in baking tins.jpg banana bread cake loaf on cooling rack.jpg banana bread cake sliced.jpg

2. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You can also use the same recipe to make banana muffins or cupcakes and my wife prefers to eat them without any icing (just plain). Halve the recipe above and it will make about 10 muffins.

Serve them warm with a dollop of cream or vanilla ice-cream and the kids go bananas over them! :eat:

banana cake cup cake muffin.jpg

3. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Snap, I just made some banana bread the other night and then I see you have this recipe here.
    It was pretty much the same recipe as yours Mark but I also added some shredded coconut. Damn good! :twothumbsup:
    Unfortunately I had to buy my banana's.

Your's looked awesome by the way. No pics of mine as it went pretty quick!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Fantastic! Coconut sounds good ours didn't last long either! :)