Backyard to food forest

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Title update is very fitting Andrew.

Best waiting for the chooks anyway due to the absurd pricing here lately - $10 for a Hyline chick! I paid $17 for my 16-week old Australorp X RIR and $25 for POL light Sussex.

I really look forward to your spring video walkthrough

Reactions: DTK

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Vicky, I can't wait to see it take off in spring.

Payday on Wednesday, so more trees & herbs incoming :)
the REAL payday is, as you say, in the coming spring

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Andrew, you are amazing how you've remodelled that whole backyard. Such good exercise as well.
I know a guy who uses gardening for exercise. Every time I hear from him he's shovelling something heavy to somewhere distant!
Yes as Vicky says your real payday is next fruiting season.
Although, your greens are looking pretty mature there already, so the veg is coming off the garden well enough.

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
It sure is a great workout, I've already worn out a shovel digging this heavy clay!

The beetroot are almost ready & the cabbage can be harvested now, so I'll be making some Kimchi in the near future. I also have a lot of strawberries fruiting currently.

The greenhouse frame is mostly together & if it's not raining on the weekend, I'll be putting that up to keep the bugs away from the greens. I don't mind a few holes here & there, but don't enjoy inspecting every leaf for a hitchhiker when I'm cooking :)

I'm happy leaving them to munch on things in the garden beds so the good bugs & predators can move in.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Andrew,
I admire your progress creating an edible landscape. . . . it is like eating an elephant -1 bite at a time lol

We have 35 fruit trees and bushes with what seems like a smaller yard than you have, so keep up the fun.

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Planted another few fruit trees this weekend, that makes 22 trees & 9 berries so far.

I also prepped the garden bed out the front for some natives that I have coming this week. I got a heap of cardboard from a local shopping center, then put soil & pine bark on top of it.
IMG_0427.JPG

The plants I have ordered all attract birds & pollinators and will look great.
Leptospermum Scoparium
Leptospermum liversidgei
Leptospermum polygalifolium subsp cismontaum
Callistemon salignus
Melaleuca decussata
Acacia acinacea

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Your doing a awsome job Andrew from bear turf to feeding the neighbourhood in just a few months but have you any room for a chook or two.

Marika

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Wow, great progress, you've done so much in such a short time.
Are you concerned about the fruit trees being so close to your beds and stealing moisture and nutrients from your veg?

I'm doing similar to you Andrew - changing the back lawn into low-raised beds and using Charles Dowding's cardboard and compost method as well! It is my 40th birthday present - my dream vegetable garden.
Bring on the warm weather so we can really see our new spaces take off!

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Marika, the fruit trees are mainly dwarf varieties & will be pruned to keep them small, so the roots shouldn't wander too far. The drainage channel runs between the beds & trees as well, so if anything, the roots will stop there chasing the water.

Moisture wise, I have more than I want at the moment! I'm interested to see how it goes in summer, but I think the combination of heavy clay soil & a thick layer of wood chips will keep it pretty wet.

A big empty backyard just seems like such a waste of time & water to me.

Definitely looking forward to spring & the warmer weather, so many more growing options!

Marika

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Marika, the fruit trees are mainly dwarf varieties & will be pruned to keep them small, so the roots shouldn't wander too far. The drainage channel runs between the beds & trees as well, so if anything, the roots will stop there chasing the water.
Ah yes, that sounds like the perfect set up then!

A big empty backyard just seems like such a waste of time & water to me
I totally agree. I’m all for beauty but it’s so nice to be able to utilise a space to its full potential.
Our yards are going to be so productive!

Cheers.

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I took advantage of the nice weather today to make a start on the greenhouse. It measures 2.4 wide x 3.6 meters long and 1.8 to 2.4 meters high. I ran out of short screws & couldn't be bothered going out again today, so will continue it tomorrow. I also keep forgetting to get the concrete blocks to sit it on, I need to do that before I add the sheets to it or it may be too heavy to lift up!

IMG_0502.JPG

I have a heap of seedlings & cuttings underway & many more to start once the greenhouse is completed.
IMG_0501.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 215

Marika

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Great work Andrew, those seedlings will love their new home I’m sure :D
What materials will you make your walls and door from?

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I decided on clear polycarbonate. Insulation isn't a huge concern, I just wanted a frost & bug free space for seedlings & cabbages.

I make a lot of fermented foods & it takes so long picking the critters out of the cabbage!

Should have it all finished by Wednesday I hope, it's due to rain by the end of the week, so I need to get it done but the short days aren't helping at the moment.

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
wow just WOW.

Your first posting was March and it's now 3 months later and you've made awesome progress.

Marika

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
That looks fantastic, I’m totally jealous!

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
wow just WOW.

Your first posting was March and it's now 3 months later and you've made awesome progress.
Thanks, it's been a busy few months, I wanted to get the basics sorted over autumn/winter- the Soil, Mulch & fruit trees in the ground so it could all settle in. Anxiously waiting for spring & summer now, when it will really take off.

i just ordered a whole heap of herb & perennial seeds from Eden Seeds in preparation, it's going to get very full, very quickly once the weather warms up!

Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Thats great work mate I am currently establishing my block as well. Nothing better than watching soil grow over the seasons, if you are still tilling Charcoal (as in biochar) might be a great soil adjustment for your clay.

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Charles, I didn't do any tilling at all, it probably would have been a good idea to speed up the improvement of soil health, but I think the planting in raised beds & mulching heavily will still get the job done.

Greenhouse is almost finished, just have a door to make, then seal up any gaps around the edges & put some beds & shelving in there.
IMG_0510.JPG

My seeds arrived too, so I'll be busy planting once it's all finished up.

IMG_0511.JPG

Ordering a flowhive next week & will start construction of the chicken coop.

Top Bottom