Anyone making their own vinegar?

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by MichelleMD, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Comfort

Comfort Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    A fairly simple process really

2. Grover64

Grover64 Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I make my vinegar in the warmer months in SE Qld by letting my kombucha ferment for about 4 weeks. once it gets to the taste that I want I bottle it with a few different spices and herbs such as: garlic, basil, chilli, hibiscus and lavender.
    IMAG2362.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. Daniel.Mav

Daniel.Mav Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I tried this Last year with left over organic apple peels and cores. It worked a treat. I half filled the jar with Apple scraps then poured in a 150ml bottle of organic raw apple cider vinegar with the mother and topped it off with boiled (and cooled) water. After 4 or so months there was a Scoby on top and now the Scoby is about 2inches thick. Awesome flavour too!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    i have been making apple cider vinegar for over a year. I have experimented with different apples. The sweetest ones are quite soft and it all turns into a kinda sludge. Unless I am willing to wait for the first drain thru with cheesecloth I really hate it. I tried green, granny smith apples and there just isnt enough sugar in them. so back to whatever organic sweet apples i can find at the organic market. The recipe I use only makes about one quart of vinegar by using ten apples, about 3 quarts of water, or just to cover, to which has been added 3 T of sugar - one T per quart - in a one gallon jar. I leave it covered with cheesecloth and with a weight to keep the apples under water and with a nearly 2 inch headroom, for about three weeks; drain, return to the same bottle, and leave for four or more weeks, stirring every few days. then I strain again and bottle. I use mostly cosmetically and for meat broths.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    someone also mentioned the idea of probiotics. My first six months in Ecuador were a near nightmare physically. My first day i was at a market and bought a smoothy in Loja. turns out these markets never use bottled water. i was sick for nearly six months, lost 40 pounds and ended with a severe case of dehydration and bronchitis. thankfully I only needed a few hours on a drip in the local clinic and thereafter antibiotics and four day daily trips to the clinic for a respirator treatment. My immune system was nearly shot. I went to a local MD who put me on a vitamin c drip for a couple of hours and recommended 1000ml of omega three and vit c per day. I have been doing that everyday for three years along with Vit B12 (I am 68) and the best multi I can find, because ya' never know and i still pick up bugs once in awhile. However, I had done research on probiotics and I make maybe two batches of water kefir every week and use use it to swallow meds and supplements. I seriously feel the kefir, more than meds saved my life cause it keeps adding good stuff to my innards. Other people make milk kefir but it doesnt agree with me! when I get some sort of infection, and all gringos do, I take the kefir water and a liquid probiotic in a capsule, along with the antibiotics. People swear by yogurt but unless you make your own the probiotics are compromised or frankly non-existent in the commercial stuff. me? i am just not a yogurt fan and only make once in awhile. Goat milk stuff is by far the tastiest. Just thought I would throw i this info.

• Informative Informative x 1