Anyone making their own vinegar?

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by MichelleMD, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We didn't add any sugar either, just threw in all the bits left over from bottling.I don't even remember a mother. I use our homemade stuff for special recipes, its extra nice.

2. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Wow, I don't want to make my own vinegar at the moment but I sure know where to get ideas if I do :) well done everyone.

3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    My vinegar made from apples is now complete and I'm happy to say was a resounding success!

If you read back through this discussion you can see the steps or stages I went through in my posts but since straining the solids out (after week 4) shown here in this post Anyone making their own vinegar? I left it sit and ferment for about 8 more weeks on the kitchen bench and this is what I ended up with...

This unattractive liquid with a mother film white mould on top. I had been taste testing the liquid about every few weeks by parting the film on top and dipping a spoon into it until it became a "vinegar strength" I was happy with.
    apple cider vinegar home made final fermenting stage.jpg I then strained the mix with some cheese cloth
    straining vinegar ferment apple cider through cheese cloth.jpg Twisting the cheese cloth and forcing as much liquid out as possible.
    straining vinegar ferment apple cider through cheese cloth fig 2.jpg Left with this horrible looking sludge which went into the compost.
    straining vinegar ferment apple cider through cheese cloth pulp and scumb.jpg Then, I strained the liquid a second time through a fine sieve using a wooden spoon to slowly move it so it would strain through and not get clogged.
    second straining apple cider vinegar through sieve.jpg Left with this pulp similar to applesauce but it tasted like apple cider vinegar
    second straining apple cider vinegar through sieve sauce pulp.jpg I bottled this sauce and later used some of it to make an apple sauce by adding a little sugar and cooking it briefly in a saucepan - it was delicious with pork roast!
    second straining apple cider vinegar through sieve saving sauce pulp.jpg I bottled the final product of apple cider vinegar and all up it made about 3 litres of organic homemade unheat-treated vinegar full of goodness plus it tastes excellent!
    homemade apple cider vinegar organic in bottles.jpg Making our own vinegar from our own homegrown left over apples was a very easy and worthwhile thing to do and I would definately recommend it.

I would say it is best to keep the final product in the fridge to slow down the fermenting process but it could be kept in the pantry no problems except you may find a white film forming on top of the liquid which can be kept in check by shaking the bottle gently every few days or so.

I have not checked the Ph of this vinegar but I would expect it is about 4.5 whereas distilled white vinegar is around 2.5 so this vinegar is probably best used for general eating like on salads, etc rather than preserving food eg pickled cucumbers.

As for the acetic acid content - I have no idea - and to actually test for the percentage of acetic acid in this product is a little too complex and kind of uneconomical for a backyarder. Distilled white vinegar has an acetic acid content of about 5% (I believe) but I couldn't even guess the percentage of my apple vinegar.

Bottom line... If you are considering making your own vinegar I would go ahead and do it because it's an easy process and you'll be left with a healthy untreated product mankind has been using for thousands of years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well done Mark :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes definitely well done Mark!
    It's very interesting how little roughage is left from all those apples in that bucket.
    That sauce is a real bonus! I've not heard of that before.

Now in prime apple season, I wonder where I might find some organic apples...................mmmm

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah thanks @letsgo and @ClissAT as you can probably tell I'm pretty happy with the results and to be honest may never had thought about making vinegar if it wasn't for @MichelleMD starting this thread.

We did a live taste test on Sunshine Coast radio last Monday it was good fun and the host Robert Blackmore enjoyed it (thankfully) so I gave him a bottle :)

7. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Sunshine Coast Radio, I think that is what my bedside clock radio is tuned to for the alarm.
    Under this huge Qld'r roof up a dark alley behind a mountain I have little FM & almost no AM reception. But I get this one local station.
    However I have never listened long enough to know anything about it!
    Maybe I should turn it on sometime :crazy:o_O:idea:

8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm usually on every fortnight Monday morning around 9:35am the segment goes for 10 - 20 mins. We chat about self-sufficiency projects I'm doing etc...

Rob (the host of the morning show) actually has a property of his own 90 acres and is getting into self-sufficiency himself. He hasn't got much of an established food garden yet, apparently, so his working on that but he is raising pigs, which I would love to do but don't have the space unfortunately.

Pork as mentioned goes well with apple cider vinegar sauce or even as a rub on basting for a leg roast :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Pork also goes really well in a hungi in the ground! double yum!
    The timings are what stops me from listening to the radio I think.
    I'm outside by half past early breakfast & don't come in until quarter to lunchtime then back out & not in until full darktime.
    Actually in high summer I go out by 4am & come in about 9am for breakfast, so perhaps I should set my clock for some summertime listening over brekkie :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kasalia

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Great news that it worked Mark. Just catching been very sick. Getting back into it now.

11. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's no good... I hope you get better soon Kasalia!

12. Kasalia

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    All better now Mark, had viral gastroenteritis and as a bonus finished up with viral meningitis. Apparantly the first can give you the 2nd. Quite common.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Wow... you were very ill then! Glad to hear you've overcome both.

14. GlennoFromKenno

GlennoFromKenno Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    This is amazing, I'll have to try it for sure. How's the strength compared to store bought (organic) stuff?

15. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It's milder then distilled vinegar and heat treated apple cider vinegar but I haven't compared it to other organic commercial stuff.

You can leave it longer to mature apparently it will strengthen as it ages...

I gave it a live taste test on air with Rob Blackmore on Sunshine Coast Radio with a shot glass each and he felt it was quite strong and "vinegary" but I'm a real wog when it comes to vinegar and literally soak my salads in the stuff so whilst it's nice and definately vinegar it doesn't knock my socks off... :)

Probiotics is something I'm really getting into and the fact such a healthy condiment can be made so easily from left over fruit has made me very happy. I'll be making this again for sure!

16. GlennoFromKenno

GlennoFromKenno Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I can't wait to try this out

17. StuartGrows

StuartGrows Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Are you going to be keeping one of the three bottles to allow it to age further? This looks terrific. I was wondering about vinegar a few months ago and now I have something that appears to be easy enough to try. Just need to find a place for it to ferment!

18. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm not sure if aging will improve the sharpness but we're going through our batch of vinegar slowly so maybe it will improve.

It's pretty good as is and it's definitely healthy I reckon.

19. Mikielives

Mikielives Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Mark, just be aware that ideally you want an acetic level of 5% in order to trust it to stabilize shelf life of things like pickles, sauces, etc. There are test kits available on Amazon. No need to worry about the acetic level if your only using it for flavor in things such as salad dressing.
    A good reason to make your own vinegar is to avoid ingesting GMO's, herbicides, and pesticides. All vinegar is derived from alcohol. White vinegar is made from corn liquor made from commercially grown corn that contain all 3 of the bad things I mention here. Cider vinegar is made from commercial orchards.....and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes correct and I am aware of that. I didn't test my vinegar or use it as a preserving agent, but it did make a pleasant salad dressing!