Any good soil suppliers - Parramatta

kooties4

Jul 23, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hey everyone,

Like a lot of other folks must be doing during C19 lockdown, I'm taking the opportunity to finally build our raised garden bed. As per Mark's videos I'm filling up the bottom with old wood and stumps as well as shredded newspaper that I have a lot of and other general natural filler (being sure not to make a hot compost pile)..... BUT... as per Mark's suggestion I don't want to start behind the 8-ball by purchasing a bulk soil that lacks natural goodness. Out bed will be 7metres long so I'm still going to require a LOT of soil, so, can anyone in the Sydney/Parramatta area suggest a good place to go for top quality vegetable loving dirt???? Thanks in advance... :)

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Dec 22, 2019
Sydney
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Have a look at what ANL sell in bulk. Whilst not your home grown compost, it looks okay....Note: I haven't tried it but for $60-$83 cubic meter, maybe mixed with a few bags of straight out store bought compost, it may see you right.

Otherwise, depending on just how much you need to fill, the el cheapo tom & veg compost from Bunnings is good value and has done the job for me (all has grown well) when topping out the raised beds as you are doing (you might even see the odd bag in a few of Mark's vids). Have a look at:

1595488003203.png
(Also a tad easier to move 6 or 8 of these in the barrow at one time rather than shift 1 tonne of loose compost soil from the driveway)

Whilst it does have B&B in it, I also mix through a couple of hand fulls of chook or mainly moo poo (as it's gentler on the veg roots) depending on what's going in the bed / pot. Note: the $3.50 one is just as good as the ANL moo poo.

1595488145011.png

I also mix throw in for decent measure some more B&B and some rock mineral. Small hand full for each 25l bag use.

1595488366205.png
1595488459635.png

Bunnings at North Parra has it all.

kooties4

Jul 23, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks for the feedback... I was hoping to get a great solution rather than have to franken-soil a cubic meter with bags of other stuff as that would lead to a lot of inconsistencies. I had nothing but poor experiences with ANL people over the years so would rather not go down that road again, but as you said you haven’t tried their stuff yourself either. I was trying to avoid ‘another’ trip to Hammerbarn so perhaps I’ll chat with my local nursery, although I tend to think they’ll on-sell you whatever bulk soil their supplier provides without know exactly how good (or not so good) it is anyway. cheers for the reply…