Any Good? GenTrax 4.4kVA Generator PureSine Inverter Portable Petrol

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Mark, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    What do guys think about the GenTrax 4.4kVA Generator PureSine Inverter Portable Petrol (on eBay) - worth taking a chance on these days with the improvements in Chinese made goods?

I have a mate who owns several generator shops but he stocks only Honda and swears by them but buying a Honda costs a hell of a lot more and it seems for around $500-$600 and under
    warranty you could get just as long out of one of these or just buy several for the same price as one of the major brands.

Here's the promo video below:

2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    my neigbour just bought one from ebay and took it to Fraser. I'll ask how it's goibg. not sure if it's the same brand.
    it was supposed to be very quiet but it was pretty loud when they tested in the driveway.

ps. I remember he plugged a 240v light in and it kept cutting out.. may have been user error though. I'll ask.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Loud hey? It'll be interesting to know how it went at Fraser. I've seen the Hondas in action when we went to Moreton Is they are pretty quiet and do the job but like I said they are expensive.

No matter what price you'd expect a generator to work as described and at least run a light.

4. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

I have had Hondas and Yamahas cut out, just because the governor linkage was sticky, but a light bulb, na, unless the carby isn't tuned or air filter/main jet hasn't been installed properly. Still, I have always found it would be cheaper to buy a cheapie and replace it twice( once is all it's happened, ever) than get one service on a brand name with a failure. A circuit board for a brand name can cost more than a Chinese generator, let alone the labour if not under warranty (i.e. , they say it was your fault). The capacitors, diodes, IC chips etc all come out the same factory, as do the motor castings. A brand name will defend their integrity, therefore their warranty conditions, to the last breath, whereas a generic will simply send you a replacement, no questions asked. If they have AU stock it won't take long.
    I always park my genny behind a rock or a tree, with the exhaust facing away- you will get a damn good echo/amplification in a driveway.
    An old bush trick to quieten a genny is a press-in exhaust extension (copper pipe) going into a ditch with a piece of tin(whatever) over it and the dirt piled back on top.

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We used to dig ours in when I was in the army - that worked pretty good.

Interesting. Instead of getting a replacement Davey pump for my tank I decided to get an old cheapy made in China pump from Masters for $175 (saved me over a thousand) and it did break down after about 18 months (it kept cycling on as if it had a leak but it didn't). However, it had a 2 year no questions asked replacement warranty so in I went and switched it over easy as! They issued me a new receipt for the new pump with another two years warranty and I must say it pumps as good as any other pump I've had :twothumbsup:

Come to think of it, I've got quite a few of the "lessor branded" appliances and power tools etc and most of them do a pretty good job. I guess it comes down to personal preference, money prepared to outlay, and perhaps if ones willing to compromise on a generator that may not be as quiet or well-built but still does the job hey. One thing is for sure, that price for a 4.4 kva genny is pretty nice!

6. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

Yeah, fleabay has those grey square pressure modules for abot $13 each. Most of the time, even if the seals/impeller is on the way out, you can just dial the spring pressures back on the controller. Like some fridge thermos, they have a cut-in and a cut-out. As long as you get it right, you can make a near-shagged pump run nearly indefinitely,(as long as it's not drawing from below/underground too far). You won't even notice the pressure/output difference unless you load it right up. The new-fangled dry-run systems are over-complicated. A dry-sensor in one of the basic cheapies would solve most problems, unless drawing or pumping a long way. Basic elec-trickery.